LegacyGT.com

Should I purschace? Input needed

love006

I'm currently looking at a 2001 Subaru Legacy GT 1999 Manual. I've been searching for a used vehicle for months and this one feels right.

Specs:

2001 Subaru Legacy GT Sedan

5 speed! It took me forever to find one.

135k miles

Clean title

A/C blows COLD and heater is HOT!

Moonroof

Power everything

Keyless entry and factory alarm

Registered till April 2016

Smog was done a couple months back. It's good for 90 days. Can smog again upon request.

Less than 2k miles on Continental ContiproContact tires.

New parts:

Head gaskets (OEM replacements)

Both heads professionally resurfaced by Terrill's Aluminum Cylinder Heads in Chico.

Complete valve adjustment

Intake manifold gaskets

Exhaust manifold gaskets

Rear main seal

Gates timing belt component kit. (Pulleys, tensioner and belt)

Throwout bearing and pilot bearing

Fresh oil change with Castrol Edge 5w30 synthetic

Recent parts:

Water pump, front main seal and cam seals were replaced by the previous owner 10k miles ago. (Have records)

Full A/C recharge and o ring replacement. (Previous owner, records.)

I plan on taking it to a Subaru maintenance shop before the purchase. Any input on future purchase? He's asking 5k for it.

As long as it isn't knocking or burning oil, sounds like most of the hard work at that mileage has been done. A common failure on aging subies has also been cv boots particularly the one closes to the exhaust not an expensive repair but something to keep in mind. Also be sure the unibody is free of rust on the underside and inside. As long as it all checks out seems like a solid car for the year. Price seems high but given the work in it seems ok. Although in my area I have seen these cars go from 1200-3700 but with higher mileage and in rough condition.

That's a pretty good maintenance list. I bought a 2000 rs25 with 139k miles and within the next 12k miles it needed everything you listed plus valve cover gaskets, rear wheel bearings, front struts, front axles, cv boot, 02 sensor/knock sensor and starter to give you an idea of what else maybe need replacing at some point. Bought the rs for $2,200 and spent $5-6k on all the maintenance. That said I still wouldn't pay $5k for the car you're looking at. Maybe $4k. Although if it's completely rust free that gives it more worth I suppose.

Alex D.

JDM Prestige Motors

alex@jdmprestigemotors.com

• 2 weeks later...
Oh that's not to bad. I was worried you had to fix some more costly parts. Also as said before if it's what you want and makes you happy that's all that matters. Considering it had a lot of maintenance done(let's just hope it was all done correctly) I don't think you paid too much. Have fun with it! Have any plans for it or keeping it stock?

Alex D.

JDM Prestige Motors

Unless you really want an intake for the sound I would recommend keeping the stock unit. Same with the exhaust. If you're looking for any power from an exhaust and intake it's a waste imo. If you want it because that's what you want then I personally would recommend the borla exhaust. It's one of the pricier one's but it's subtle and gives a good note when you get on it.

As for the intake I can't recommend one because I'm not familiar with them and your platform. I do however know that when I was orginally looking for one for my n/a 00' impreza rs most people said to stay away from aftermarket intakes because they will confuse your maf sensor causing your car to run rich. Don't quote me on this but it's what I remember reading.

Again it's your car so do what you want and what makes you happy. Just be sure to research first. If it were me I personally would go with an upgraded rear sway bar/endlinks, good tires and upgraded brake pads/ss lines/brake fluid. That's all I really did to my 00'rs and it was a blast to drive. Lastly I would recommend for you to check out the naturally aspirated forums. Good luck!

Alex D.

JDM Prestige Motors

Archived