LegacyGT.com

2008 Legacy 3.0R range in miles

I owned my 3.0R less than a year with 130k. I filled up a full tank and the display shows me 220 miles to go and drop to 210 miles after I drove in city about 10mins. Is it a good number for a car with 17 gallon tank size?

I feel disappointed when I compare my scion xb which can do 240 miles with 14 gallon 87 gas.

Is this number normal to 3.0 engine Subaru cars? Well I know the ride quality is better but the gas efficiency seems not so successful.

Cars101 says your MPG is 17/24, which works out to 287 miles city on a full tank, throw in the conservative nature of estimated miles left displayed and you might still be a little short.

Check maintenance history. Do the plugs again anyway - the driver side back plug is notoriously difficult and I've seen shops skip it.

+2 haha

Also, it would make sense to run better tune and have the TCU tuned to lock up quicker and shift quicker by bumping up the trans oil pressures. It does help since they designed the transmission so smooth like as if it's a CVT... ITS NOT and its just throwing usable power and fuel away.

Appreciate the suggestions. I went to the shop and the tech suggests me to do the measurement on gas usage by recording gallons of gas I refilled and mileage(odometer) I drove until the gas empty orange light is on. As I mention, how come a full tank only show 220 miles to go??? Not sure some hidden gallons by the display error?

I will update the test result later this week.

Something's gotta be wrong. 14mpg? Check PCV, oil,, tires pressures, check for pads binding, put the car on lifts and check for drivetrain binding. Try cleaning MAF sensor and may need a new O2 sensors.

Point is, even if you were flooring it from traffic light to traffic light then cruising on the highway you should be getting more like 20 mpg. You don't live at high elevation do you?

Archived