LegacyGT.com

Overheating.. Water Pump Bad?

mr2qik

Hey guys. have a 06 wagon stage 2. It occasionally will spike in temp all the way up. Then randomly go back to normal. I have a 10 min commute to work and it will happen once every few weeks. Obviously coolant is at normal levels. I have about 90k on the car. Im guessing im due for belts,water pump timing belt. Before I order all the stuff just want to make sure Im correctly diagnosing this. What are the symptoms of a bad water pump?

started it up this morning. Barely ran. Really rough idle. And the temp gauge went right to the top. So now im wondering if the thermostat is bad? Luckily I have a 2nd car so I just moved it and took the spare wheels.

• 1 month later...
My vote is thermostat. Sounds like it is staying shut until the coolant temp is way too high and then it opens and coolant flows which is why your temp went back down. If it turns out the thermostat wasn't the issue you're only out 20 bucks. Also careful running at high temps you'll fry your HG

Yep bad coolant temp sensor. Also replaced thermostat. It was running rich due to thinking the car was hot. So it fowled the plugs and I also had a bad MAS. Shes running good again. But I need a tune to get the mixture right. It doesnt boost correctly yet. but runs and idles good. Its always something!

Yep bad coolant temp sensor. Also replaced thermostat. It was running rich due to thinking the car was hot. So it fowled the plugs and I also had a bad MAS. Shes running good again. But I need a tune to get the mixture right. It doesnt boost correctly yet. but runs and idles good. Its always something!

Sounds good to me.

Archived