LegacyGT.com

Scratching Sound on Cold Start

N7sfl09hsTkHey guys. Can you help identify this sound that my Legacy has been making on cold starts.

I live in PA. It happens quite frequently on cold start ups in the winter, particularly when it’s been sitting over night or during the day while at work. It happens occasionally when temperatures are in the low 40’s or so but it’s hit or miss. Since winter has passed it doesn't happen when it's warm so it's been off my mind, but now time to take care of it.

It's an '06, 5MT, about 83k miles.

I'm interested to hear what people say as well, pretty sure my car makes the same sound sometimes. I decided to get a used oil analysis done one winter after it had done it quite a bit, and the UOA looked excellent, low wear levels all across the board. Since then I haven't really thought much about it.

I did some research and it does sound like it's the starter making the noise. I'll probably try the DIY below sometime when I'm bored.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/diy-starter-repair-remove-disassemble-grease-reinstall-w-pics-218329.html

Do this first. Fixed my starter noise and has been going strong for over a year since.

Archived