LegacyGT.com

HVAC Control Issue

When trying to switch air vents with the control knob nothing happens. It's currently on defrost. If I switch it on click to the defrost/foot option I can hear the door/flap inside of the control unit move but the air doesn't actually come out at the foot level just stays on the defrost. I cannot get it to go to any other vent location either. I'm not sure if anyone else has experienced this before or not but I'm looking to find out if it's potentially the switch itself or if it's more so something stuck inside the unit itself that's preventing everything from moving? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

I looked into this for a little bit, but couldn't come up with much.

In post #16 below, kenchan explains what he found when he looked into his similar problem. It basically sounds like there is a door that switches air flow between the windshield and floor, and he discovered that his door would lock up if you switched it to defrost only.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/lower-vent-not-working-53687.html?p=1246272

*I know this might be unlikely since you can hear a door moving, but I'm still doing a little bit of research. A lot of people are saying the floor vents just stink, and only put out a tiny bit of air. So not sure if maybe that's whats happening? Is there no air at all, or just a little bit of air going to the foot level?

I don't really feel much air at all, I know even with the blower off, there is still air flow into the vehicle. So, what little air flow I do feel I could be mistaking for that. I just don't want to buy a new control assembly and have it be a waste of money if it's mechanical failure.

Thanks for the help on this apexi, it's much appreciated!

Did some more research, but still don't really have a clear cut solution.

Interesting things I read from the service manual. The impression I get is, air is always being sent to the driver/passenger side vents next to the doors. Also, even when the climate control dial is set to foot level only, a door inside the hvac ductwork stays open a little bit to allow some air up towards the windshield.

In the service manual under hvac troubleshooting, they have:

"symptom: unable to switch blow vents". The possible problem areas are: mode door actuator, air flow switch, and wire harness. The air flow switch is located directly behind the far right knob that adjusts the air flow direction. The mode door actuator is 72143 in the link below, and also shown as #6 in the second to last image. I'm not sure that any of these are the problem though, since you can hear a door, or doors moving.

B13_72001197.pnghttp://parts.subaru.com/a/Subaru_2006_Legacy25L-5MT-4WD/_54104_6025983/HEATER-SYSTEM-HEATER-UNIT--COOLING-UNIT/B13-720-02.html

Air flow switch can be seem in the link below. But I think there is an error in the diagram, when you compare the image in the link, to the image in the last picture below. The service manual shows the air flow switch as being connected to the far right dial, whereas parts.subaru.com appears to have it line up with the middle dial for fan speed. Either way, I quickly looked and couldn't find a part number for that switch alone.

B13_72301125.png

http://parts.subaru.com/a/Subaru_2006_Legacy25L-5MT-4WD/_54104_6025901/HEATER-CONTROL-HEATER-CONTROL-MANUAL/B13-723-01.html

The service manual lists multiple doors in the hvac ductwork. Earlier I suspected that you may have heard one door opening and closing, while the others may be malfunctioning. There is also a door that opens/and closes when switching between recirculate air, and outside air. I'm pretty sure defrost only works using outside air, I'm wondering if you're hearing the door for outside air/recirculate opening and closing? Does the light on the recirculate button change when you switch from defrost only, to defrost/foot? Also, how strong is the air flow coming out from the defrost vents? Have you tried using other blower speeds (thinking blower motor resistor with that thought, but unlikely if you get air flow on all speeds)?

I know I'm throwing a lot of things out there, but I'm curious to figure out what's going on, and I'm just throwing out everything I'm thinking.

subaru_hvac_air_flow.1.thumb.jpg.bcc0ea552d60260f9b65fea8fca10e28.jpg

subaru_hvac_air_flow.2.thumb.jpg.44a570ec24feff1dcb29ce6aadec33c4.jpg

subaru_hvac_air_flow.3.thumb.jpg.a84a622041c4dbb144d9ba82735a6efa.jpg

subaru_hvac_air_flow.4.thumb.jpg.933b7e9613fe14d03080ecf9b0c24687.jpg

subaru_hvac_air_flow.5.jpg.7e1d923902348165559e50aa90d91c81.jpg

hvac.troubleshooting.thumb.jpg.c7c16281afb5e6d091ad734b388d5057.jpg

2005.manual_hvac.thumb.jpg.ded95e23dfe4b1794a5f588e462f531c.jpg

subaru_hvac_air_flow.switch.jpg.1c7267007a6a8fe1c0fc2efc5db0fd0d.jpg

Archived