LegacyGT.com

Looking into a '99 Legacy B4 RSK

Zac_

For my first car Im looking into getting a Legacy B4 RSK. It seems like a a great car. Its cheaper then an sti, still looks cool, comes with roughly 280 hp, AWD for Canadain winters. Everything seems great. Now I know that in north america these are fairly uncommon so I am hesitant because there is little information about them out there. Other JDM cars come with heeps of info on mods, parts and general repair. Basically Im looking for someone who knows this car and can tell me about them, recommend them etc.

They're subaru so I know their reliable but Im curious because Iv read alot of things about them.

I heard they're very limited when it comes to mods and tuning.

I heard that alot of parts from other subi's are interchangeable with the b4 rsk.

I'v heard about problems with the twin turbos (no mid level torque)

If ANYONE can help me it would greatly appreciated. Im still a teenager getting into cars so im far from an expert so anything you know or can suggest will help me a ton.

http://a-a.d-cd.net/1b9498u/960.jpg

Just a google image

How many miles are on it? Looks sweet. Ergo buy it!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

He said that image was from google, therefore not the one he will be buying.

Tbh, doesn't sound like OP has found a car yet just looking for more info on them.

The mid-range torque issue you are referring to is caused by a slight delay in turbo spool from the smaller turbo to the larger turbo. Smaller turbo goes up to 4000rpm or so, then bigger turbo at 4500rpm and up. Here's what wiki says about this for that gen.

"Subaru claims: "The 'staging' between the single and twin turbo operating range, which was quite noticeable to the driver on the previous model B4, has now largely been 'tuned out' by the careful selection of turbocharger size and the controlling mechanisms. As can be seen from this torque curve, however, under some driving conditions it is still possible to detect a slight reduction in the rate of acceleration in the preparatory or intermediate phase that occurs between 4000–4500 rpm.""

As for how well these cars can be modded I believe the limitation is the two stock turbos. I think the people who are serious about these cars take the two sequential turbos out and replace it with one larger unit. If your heart desires you should also be able to swap in any EJ motor + tranny combo (like from an STi or WRX)

Also, you should probably be aware that the B4 with the twin-turbo setup only comes in right-hand drive. Something about the placement of one of the turbos on the left-hand side wouldn't work. I was reading up on all this a few weeks ago, my memory on the subject is a bit hazy.

Furthermore, have you even seen any B4's in Canada for sale?

I've seen a couple of these come through JDM connection out of Edmonton actually. Should hit them up for any import related stuff. I don't know from experience, but they seem to get a lot of sexy JDM cars in and have happy customers. They post everything on their Facebook page

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I've seen a couple of these come through JDM connection out of Edmonton actually. Should hit them up for any import related stuff. I don't know from experience, but they seem to get a lot of sexy JDM cars in and have happy customers. They post everything on their Facebook page

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Thanks, What's there name?

I do have one 2001 b4 rsk 5mt, but i live in Sweden, and in our country its allowed to have the the driving wheel on wrong side,(right), they are good but, its hard to use in traffic, when you need to pass another car or truck on the road, you have to put almost the entire car, in the wrong line, to see if there are any car /truck coming towards you and thats not fun..

except for this issue, its a nice car. AND I almost forgot, they run original on 100 octane, so the first thing you have to do is tune it for your gasoline

/Larsa

11143421_487364124763187_477614988270617626_n.jpg?oh=99ee209aea5b4e11e1cf7900e4c3edd5&oe=563C34C5

• 3 weeks later...

Hey are you still looking for one? From my research I've concluded that its a solid suby, with a bulletproof transmission. The AWD handling is outstanding and they last a lifetime. As far as mods go they are definitely out there depending on what you're hoping to do. Replacing the 2-stage turbos for a larger single turbo is something to consider in order to tune the B4 RSK.

Where abouts are you in Canada?

Calgary

Me too man haha and I've been looking into getting one myself. JDM Connection based out of Edmonton and B-Pro from YYC are your best bet if you plan on importing. You can text Brian at b-pro and he'll tell you everything you need and want to know. I've had my eyes on this one http://b-pro.ca/product/2000-subaru-legacy-b4-rsk-twin-turbo-5spd-manual-104000-km/ for a while now but anything you get from b-pro will be solid. It's hard not to splurge on such a beast car with low KMs and great condition for around 5k. Best of luck with your possible purchase :), let me know if you've got any questions. Follow my instagram if you have it @adamm.s you can DM me there also.

Archived