LegacyGT.com

A couple of questions.....from patagonia !!

Hi, i have a 94 Legacy gx......and have some doubts....first when starting up there is the classic hidraulic lash adjuster nois for a second or two.....after driving for about 15 min it starts to knock again, mostly when idling. The other question: when going over 3000/3400 rpm the check engine light comes on for some minutes...but then it shuts off...the code is 22 knock sensor...is this advise telling that the sensor must be replaced ?? or indicates a momentary malfunction ?? testing knock resistence seems to be good but don`t know if this is not a rule.... By the way....third question: some oil is comming out from distribution case....may be oil pump seal....do this seal affect pump presure operation ? the oil leak is about 1/2 liter after 500km drive....

Thanks in advance for your answers...

The hydraulic lifter tick is normal upon startup. However, you may need to bleed and/or replace some since over time they can collapse. It's a pretty easy job. You have to remove the valve covers and remove the rocker arm assembly. I have posted the factory service manual procedure here:http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/1998-legacy-2-2l-timing-jumped-engine-gone-help-replacement-192029.html?p=4057679

I would fix your oil leak first. It could be coming from a lot of different places. Valve cover gasket (I'd start there), cam or crank seals, oil pump seal, oil pump o ring, camshaft support o rings, rear main seal (not very likely).

Also, replace the crush washer on your oil plan plug every time you do an oil change.

The cam and crank seals, and the oil pump seal require taking the timing belt off to replace them so it is a much more involved job and so it is best to do a complete timing belt service when replacing them. Good news if you do you should have a lot more worry free miles ahead.

Is oil pooling on top of the engine? If so your power steering pump resevoir o ring could be leaking as well as the oil sending unit leaking.

thanks...! monkeyposeur .....the oil is coming out from the botom of the timing belt plastic cover.....i did some work there ( replacement of head gasket) but didn´t change the oil seals...i think oil is geting out from crank seal ; the one behind the belt driving gear. I had take a look taking out the valve covers but hidraulic lifters seem to be good.....i dont know if the two minutes i drove the car to my backyard, pumped them up and seemed to be normal.......Also i read that there is an oil presure relief valve on the end of the rocker shaft....is it serviceble too ?? ( excuse my English, please, i at school long time ago !!) regards !!

Unless you feel like taking the timing belt off and replacing the crank seal just add oil. I haven't heard or seen a pressure release valve on the end of the rocker assembly.

It usually takes at least a few minutes of driving to get my hydraulic lifters to quiet down.

I have had a leaking cam seal for over two years but I'm too busy and lazy to replace it. :)

Hi, this is just what i´m doing....adding oil. by the way...i`m using 10-40 semisinthetic oil...due to manual`s recomendation.....i heard that some people uses 20-50 more a liquimoly aditive ...is that good ?? The main problem on my car is that any time i drive slow this knock apears....and engine don´t run smoothly seems to run in three cilinders...may be valve adjust matter does the rouhg idling ?? A friend has an 2012 forester and the engine runs so quietly that a couple of times he sterted agains, thinking it was off..

Note...With this knock i`ve been driving for more than 15000 km....i think if it would be serious something must been happen...

Other doubt...may be you can help...on the dashboard, near the rear glass defrosting switch...trhere is a litle red led, and behind the hood opener there is a litle switch. Moving the swith all the dash functions and starting get off....and the position lights gets on but not bright but at midle power....what is this for ?? Again thanks a lot !!

Archived