LegacyGT.com

5Zigen Pro Racer + Falken 512 / Pirelli P-Zero?

B4GT

Hi all,

I did some search but could not find this exact wheel/tire combo so I'll post the question. My appologies if this has been asked already. I'm thinking of replacing my dreaded RE92's before the raining season starts. I've decided to get new wheels while I'm at it. I saw this deal at edgeracing.com where you can get the 5Zigen Pro Racer GN 17 x 7.5 wheels with tire combos. Seems like good prices there. I'm wondering how well would the 225/45/17 Falken Ziex 512 fit on these wheels? Would the 48mm offset work on the LGT?

Does anyone have this combo ? If so, would you share your experience? I'm also debating whether to get the Falken or the Pirelli P Zero Nero M+S. I've read good reviews about both but I'm wondering if it's worth spending the extra to get the PZN's. I've heard about the tramlining and flatspotting on the PZN. For those who have these tires, how bad is the flatspotting in the winter?

I would appreciate any feedback and opinions. TIA!

No match on that combo, at least not that I could remember (but keep in mind I'm getting senile! :)), but definitely much good stuff written about both the Falken Ziex ZE-512 and the Pirelli P-Zero Nero M+S.

Of those two, the Pirellis are considered "Ultra High Performance All-Season," whereas the Falkens are "High Performance All-Season."

This nomenclature should tip you off a bit as to their performance biases.

Further expanding, the Pirellis are reported to grip - and again keep in mind that this is for "all-season" tires only! - in the dry than the Falkens. The latter, however, reported from jim1969, who has had extensive experience with both sets, seem to come into its own as wet conditions increase, and then improve to excel in the snow moreso than the Pirelli.

Running hot pressures of 39/38 (psi F/R), I have amazed friends (fellow Subaru owners) with highway cruising at 70+ mph through torrential downpours, the Ziex (my chosen fitment is 225/45/17) really excel at slucing through standing water in a straight-line. However, in my view, their off-the-line traction in wet conditions, as well as corner-cutting ability under the same, could stand to be improved.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17398&highlight=Ziex

IMveryHO, you should bias your purchase (regardless of cost) based on perceived need for traction, one way or the other.

If cost is a factor, the Falkens then are definitely the hands-down winner, as the two are separated by a good gap in terms of pricing.

Although tramlining and flatspotting have been of concern on the P-Zeros, they seem to be relatively minor, usually taking place at colder temperatures than what I'd imagine you'd see on a normal basis in your local area, and furthermore, tend to "hammer" themselves out within the first few miles of a normal commute. To be absolutely honest, the P-Zeros were among my personal top-condenders when I considered my all-season purchase, but due to my very, very short daily work-home-work commute (about 5 miles, one way), as well as NE-Ohio's typically colder winters, I decided against the P-Zeros for this reason. But had my commute been 10-miles one way, and temperatures more mild, I would likely have opted for the P-Zeros.

Hope this helps!

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Thanks for the great feedback TSi !

My commute is not that long either. About 10 miles one way. Around here the winters don't really get that cold. How cold are we talking about to cause more severe flatspotting?

Anyone else with opinions on the wheels?

Thanks.

B4GT,

NP. Just tryin' to help out. :)

With the flatspotting, some have reported it well above freezing - I mean, more like, mid-40's to 50's (deg. F.)! Yet others in freezing climates have reported no such problems, or only upon extended storage (in this case, > 1 day parked).

Go figure. Dunno.

The reports are so variable, in this respect, that I truly do not know how much "negative" to assign to this particular trait of the P-Zeros.

Truthfully, if my commute had been 10+ miles, one way, I would have considered the P-Zeros a lot more, and would have been willing to simply drive more conservatively in the snow in-trade for the P-Zero's increased dry (overall, plus wet cornering) capabilities. After all, bouncing around for 1/10th of the trip is much, much more tolerable than bouncing around for 1/5th to 1/4 of it! :lol:

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Go with the Falken's...Awesome tire. I had them on my WRX last winter and they were great.

Im going to run the Avon M550's this winter on the LGT. From what I have read they should do well in the snow. Im hoping so or else I'll get a set of 512's in Dec.

Don't know how much this will help because it wasn't on an LGT, but I just bought a set of P Zero Nero M+S for my Subaru SVX last winter. Size was 225/50R16. I was in school at Penn State in State College, PA which the winters can get ugly there and the tires performed excellent. I didn't experience any flat-spotting or any negatives. We would actually go out when there was a foot of snow on the ground to have fun when there was nobody else on the road! The price wasn't too bad either, I think I paid around $100/tire from tirerack.com (that is in a 16" diameter of course and I don't know how much it'd be for our LGT's 17's). Speaking of my old SVX, I'm getting the bug to go give her a little romp.......she's been getting neglected since purchasing my Leggy ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived