LegacyGT.com

Air conditioning help

Hey guys, got a quick question about my AC system on my 2010 Legacy. Today I bought some freon to recharge the AC because it's not blowing cold air as it should. While recharging the system, it was doing well and the freon was on the low side. I started to fill it again when the AC fans clicked off. When they turned off, the pressure needle shot to above the acceptable range (without my pulling the trigger.) When the fans would click on for all of 1 second, the needle would start to go back to where it was, but before it would even get back to a realistic reading, the fans would disengage. This would continue until I finally just gave up.

After that I got into the car to run to home depot and I found that the AC would not blow any cold air what so ever. Thoughts on what could have happened?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

^^ This

Also, if the fan is cycling on/off or the clutch on the compressor cycling on/off, it's telling you that the system doesn't have enough pressure. It could be very low on freon, faulty compressor or you have a leak in the system.

Follow the instructions on the back of the can to the "T", if that doesn't help, then you have another problem in the system.

My wife's balls are delicious.

Are you charging with a manifold or with the cheap fix yourself can's at the local autoparts store? You really need a high and low pressure manifold to properly charge the ac to make sure everything is working properly.

A properly working ac system will never need to be recharged as its a closed system. If you have to add refrigerant then there is a leak that needs to be found. The system has a high and low pressure switch that will stop the ac compressor clutch.

Sounds like the system went off on overpressure. From the info you have supplied. The compressor and fans cycling will be normal on once the temp inside the car has come to the temp you have selected. Now if its a 90+ degree day then the clutch and fan may never shut off.

I was just using the can from o'reileys. The blower was on max and the temprature was turned all the way down with the AC button activated. I have an appointment with Subaru to check it on Friday.

Not having a go at the OP, just the process in general.

As an A/C tech I can safely say DIY refrigerant cans are an absolute joke. Without knowledge and correct tools most people won't bother getting its the biggest hit and miss around. Let alone fully understanding what the likes of gauges are really telling them. If its leaked enough for it to not be working then the problem should be found before refilling not after it happens again.

The likelihood is pretty slim with these kits but liquid refrigerant burns are no laughing matter either.

Sure its a super small amount of refrigerant in cars but why should people with no idea on the environmental impact be allowed to charge systems with leaks only for it to leak again. In most countries as an industry tech if we get caught using practices like that we have the potential for 10s of thousands of dollars in fines and yet people able to plead ignorant can be buying new cans endlessly to keep topping up leaking systems

2000 Legacy B4 RSK - SOLD

2006 Legacy BP5 GT Spec B wagon - Garage Thread

2011 VW T5 van 2.0L of turbo diesel awesomeness

Archived