LegacyGT.com

Stoptech sport brake kit review?

nohbodybutme

the kit is as good as the pads, which are ok if you are not doing any kind of motorsport.

you could get pads, lines and blank rotors for less.

My current pads are hawks hps and oem rotors...when i was looking at it on rallysportdirect.com for that same setup it came out to over 400 without lines. Then I saw that kit so i was thinking if it meant be worth it.

Guys I'm looking to buy new set of rotors and breaks.

I saw stoptech has a break kit that includes rotors, breaks, and lines for around 500. Wondering you guys have any opinions on this.

http://www.stoptech.com/products/sport-kits

i have their pads with dba 4k. lighter than stock. work better than stock.

simply said of course.

i prefer the stoptech pads over the stock and over the hawks hps (not sure if hps has changed compound in the last few years)

the lighter than stock dba rotors lose some unsprung mass. not sure about the stop tech rotors weight.

i say do it.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2216006

I use the pads with Centric Cryo blank rotors and stock lines. Pads are good, but a little noisy and dusty. I'd run them again though.

something has to give. the more friction the more dust.

its a contradiction ive never understood. people want performance brakes but then look for less frictional pads because they dont dust as much.

OMG not that crazy dba 4k's weigh less thing again. Give it a rest.

OP - what's the usage scenario you're trying to improve upon? Your avatar shows a car bandaged for lapping? Is that you?

Regardless of how good your brakes are, crap tires will be your biggest issue.

Cryo blanks have been the best ROI for disks. Disk weight, contrary to popular opinion doesn't have lot to do with performance.

Pads it depends on what you want to do. Everyone has an opinion and swears their choice is best. However, no one has ever done a back to back with our cars to find out. Your best option is 2 sets of pads if you do lapping days. Get a street pad that covers your day to day needs, then get a race set of pads for your track days. If you really want an awesome set of brakes, get 2 sets of blanks. One of track days that you can bed in once (and never again), and one for road. This is the method I used.

The Hawk HPS and other similiar street performance pads all allow for spirited driving on the road. They will work at higher lap times on the track, however, they fade pretty quickly. You are still better off going to a higher heat range pad for track duty. I used Hawk DCT 60/70's as they were rated for 1600 degrees, a temp I saw regularly.

The dusty street pad thing depends on which pads you use. Some pads do produce less dust relative to others in their class. A good scrubbing will remove the dust easily unless you let bake on for a few weeks. Most track rats that cared would clean their wheels on the way home or at home the next day. YMMV. Barkeeper's friend is excellent at removing brake dust from the painted Enkei RPF1 (according to Focus who cleaned my old set).

So what's your goal?

OP - what's the usage scenario you're trying to improve upon? Your avatar shows a car bandaged for lapping? Is that you?

Regardless of how good your brakes are, crap tires will be your biggest issue.

Cryo blanks have been the best ROI for disks. Disk weight, contrary to popular opinion doesn't have lot to do with performance.

Pads it depends on what you want to do. Everyone has an opinion and swears their choice is best. However, no one has ever done a back to back with our cars to find out. Your best option is 2 sets of pads if you do lapping days. Get a street pad that covers your day to day needs, then get a race set of pads for your track days. If you really want an awesome set of brakes, get 2 sets of blanks. One of track days that you can bed in once (and never again), and one for road. This is the method I used.

The Hawk HPS and other similiar street performance pads all allow for spirited driving on the road. They will work at higher lap times on the track, however, they fade pretty quickly. You are still better off going to a higher heat range pad for track duty. I used Hawk DCT 60/70's as they were rated for 1600 degrees, a temp I saw regularly.

The dusty street pad thing depends on which pads you use. Some pads do produce less dust relative to others in their class. A good scrubbing will remove the dust easily unless you let bake on for a few weeks. Most track rats that cared would clean their wheels on the way home or at home the next day. YMMV. Barkeeper's friend is excellent at removing brake dust from the painted Enkei RPF1 (according to Focus who cleaned my old set).

So what's your goal?

Yup thats me down in buttonwillow in ca. I still track here and there not too much anymore since I been moved up here.

Agree with you 100% shitty tires with good brakes = bad. I have pretty good tires atm running dunlop direzza star spec (love these tires) then DWS for the winter. Most of the time i run with the dunlop or RE11(RE11 little pricer so I go with the dunlop most of the time).

I never used street performance always ran with the hawks hps so I wanted to know what people thought about it. For the rotors even when I tracked I used the OEMS so figure little upgrade wouldn't hurt too bad.

Guess my goal is to get some decent ones that i could use for the track but also use it day to day. It would be nice to go back onto the track after I get a new set and see how it feels. I'm pretty sure you know boxkita you really never know until you push your car at the tracks and see how everything works and how it feels.

I found the disks to be less useful in determining adequate braking. I tried a several disks keeping everything else constant. no real difference. pads otoh were vastly different.

If staying in hawk line, hps is a nice linear pad for street with a couple block warmup time. Hp+ is a great autox pad and limited street pad, also makes a decent track pad. If you are running slicks you need race pads and cooling.

I never got the chance to test cooling ducts with pads so can't verify they lower your temps dramatically. however Sgt.Gator has a great story about a 1 minute enduro stop with his brakes on, so ducts do provide a noticeable effect.

If you have not been to a turn2lapping.com day, check them out. 75 cars, 25 cars per run group. by afternoon its much less. Close to 5 hours of track time

So what's your goal?

its a fact and it does make a difference. deal with it and stop whining.

stop recommending those garbage hps. they are worse than stop techs in every category.

Archived