LegacyGT.com

5eat recommendation? VB mod or rebuild?

jayrex

I just finished a stage 2 etune and now I'm a little worried about my 5EAT. Getting slow shifts at times and I think it's even slipping in higher gears at high rpms. Even more alarming is a real strong thud at times when down shifting, feels pretty damaging. I'd like to get into a VB mod and rebuild eventually, but not all at once. Anybody have any suggestions, is the slamming even the tranny? Maybe diff? All diff and tranny fluids fresh and proper levels.

Get the Hexmods VB Mod from Dave. He is a reputable member here. Here is his User Name ClimberD@HexMods. His VB mod is hands down the best on the market with excellent personal tech support by the creator himself. You will notice a night and day difference GUARANTEED!! It makes the 5EAT a blast to drive. I say this all the time: "I DONT MISS MY 5 M/T ONE BIT!!

Thanks for the feedback. Many people seem quite happy with their Hexmods VB. I'm just hoping I don't have other issues which would make the mod less effective. Couldn't really hurt to make that the starting point.

The valvebody upgrade will not fix damage already done. It sounds like your transmission already has some issues. Before I spent more money and time on upgrading the valvebody I would look into the issues with the transmission first.

Regarding the thuds on downshifts, I installed the Whiteline trans cradle bushings and the rear diff bushing inserts + the Railtech soft transmission mount bushing insert. Those definitely tightened up things and stopped lots of my thud issues. I'd recommend all of them for a modded 5EAT.

5eat loves upgrades bushings and mount,just the torque solution carrier bearing mounts made a huge change, prior to going 1 piece shaft.

whiteline all around everywhere else, i dont mind a little nvh to be able feel the car and know what shes saying to me. but she really isnt bad on nvh

Thanks for all the suggestions, I really appreciate you all taking the time to reply.

This is the kind of info I was looking for, all good starting points for some research. I don't mind nvh either. I have a DIY solid trans mount installed, which is holding up quite well, but it sounds like I have some of the other areas to look into.

Here is my 'fail' post where I broke my trans mount and made the new DIY solid mount. :)

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/tranny-mount-frame-loosei-pics-need-quick-answer-236396.html

Archived