LegacyGT.com

442 ppm hydrocarbon

this is what the shop says.

had no indication of anything until last night when i was trying to bed the brakes.

got home and the coolant was coming out of the reservoir.

yes, i cooled it down thoroughly as to cool the brakes down evenly. car was pulling strong all the way to redline.

i have an appt on thursday at the dealer to get a second diagnosis.

no loss of oil. not milky. i dont see anything in the coolant. never over heated.

ive searched and read here that a false reading is possible. the coolant stayed pretty high overnight.

seems could be head gasket issue but at the same time i have no other symptom. i had a shop replace the plugs a week ago and they said the plugs were ok. at the 60k the plugs were fine. no evidence of coolant in the combustion.

i have been chasing a random misfire. completely intermittent. was fine last night. had nothing go wrong.

anything else i should do?

Teat the radiator cap blow off pressure, if its ok you need head gaskets. The gaskets are designed to keep the oil and water from mixing and out of the combustion chamber. What happens is combustion pressure gets past the cylinder sealing ring, into the cooling system and coolant pukes out the overflow.

Teat the radiator cap blow off pressure, if its ok you need head gaskets. The gaskets are designed to keep the oil and water from mixing and out of the combustion chamber. What happens is combustion pressure gets past the cylinder sealing ring, into the cooling system and coolant pukes out the overflow.

thank you for the input.

it will be the dealer doing a full test but its nice to be informed before hand.

i monitored the fluid level and coolant temp today. solid as can be. level doesnt rise and the temp never got higher than 191. i did introduce full boost as well. nothing out of the ordinary occurred.

a personal theory was that an air pocket from the rad install during the winter had expanded during the brake bed in. i know it doesnt explain gasses in the coolant. fwiw when i did the radiator replacement the shop did the 2 main hoses and replaced both caps. needed or not (my request).

will know come thursday. its driving normal at the moment.

nice one local independent service shop!! not very "smart".

went to the dealer. they tested the system and came back at 8ppm. they said a possibility was bad caps even though i had them replaced in Feb. they burped the system and put new caps.

havent heard them fans how so healthy in a while.

previously i did tell the shop i had sloshing but it wasnt really followed through. i have no idea how one gets 442ppm and the other gets 8.

my guess is the air pocket may have been in the right place when i was bedding brakes and simply displaced the fluid.

seems normal now as it did before but i can hear the fans very well now. yes, they did previously work. always has but sounds more healthier at the moment.

hooray for no head gasket! (for now)

Archived