LegacyGT.com

What is the normal temp and volts

Good day fellow LGTers.

I have searched and apparently I am search challenged.

Issue/question 1

I have had my 05 LGT sedan since last October and have seen engine temps only get up to 195 degrees F until yesterday.

The Summer has started out hot up here in the Seattle area and yesterday was in the low 90's.

I was driving the car easy and stopped in traffic for a few minutes and the temp went up as high as 210 degrees F.

My coolant is full, my fans are coming on, and there is no sign of oil in the coolant.

???What is the normal engine operating temperature range for this engine?

Issue/Item 2

My voltage is usually around 14.1-14.4 volts. Recently it has been dipping to 13.4v and averaging 13.9v.

I am thinking my alternator is needing replacement. If it were the battery the alternator would be charging at a higher rate right? Or am I arse backwards in this?

Thank you,

V

what is the resting voltage over night? then check what the voltage is during charge. i think around 12 for rest and 14.5 for charge would be about normal.

13.4-13.9? im not sure. could be the battery is charged. not sure about the alternator. have you checked the water level in the batteries? id also clean the terminals for "what ifs" while you are there.

i dont know the normal temps either. was in traffic a friday ago from tacoma to mukilteo for 2.5 hours and didnt overheat at all. i dont know the coolant temp though am telling you based upon the gauge.

I usually see temps around 190F during normal days/driving, and I have seen temps around 205F or so on hotter days in traffic. You should only really be worried if the temps don't stabilize/continue to rise or if the temps don't cool off a little once you are out of traffic. At least that's my thoughts (not a mechanic).

Thanks everyone for the info. Very helpful.

Bringing the pain since 1968

did a coolant temp check today while casually driving around.

coolant never got above 191 while idling or driving.

voltage was about 13.5 or so with a/c on.

im guessing what you have experienced is normal.

Archived