LegacyGT.com

Rod Knock?

It's a common valve lifter noise for the ej20g, inherent with the "rocker arm" heads. It's like an air bubble in the hydralic buckets. No adjustment available or parts. You can try taking apart and cleaning but it didnt work for me. I took my camshaft apart and found the buckets to be clean. I talked to John at Outfront Motorsports who knows these motors very well and he said it's not effecting the longevity,operation of the motor and its just annoying. My 80kmile motor made it and I ran mystery oil for a few 1000 miles, changed oil to shell rotella t6 and the noise started to go away after warm-up. Finding parts for those heads is hard and if you really want the noise to go away, install better heads on it. http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u386/onefastlt/P2280846_zpsp1vzzejl.jpg

It's a common valve lifter noise for the ej20g, inherent with the "rocker arm" heads. It's like an air bubble in the hydralic buckets. No adjustment available or parts. You can try taking apart and cleaning but it didnt work for me. I took my camshaft apart and found the buckets to be clean. I talked to John at Outfront Motorsports who knows these motors very well and he said it's not effecting the longevity,operation of the motor and its just annoying. My 80kmile motor made it and I ran mystery oil for a few 1000 miles, changed oil to shell rotella t6 and the noise started to go away after warm-up. Finding parts for those heads is hard and if you really want the noise to go away, install better heads on it. http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u386/onefastlt/P2280846_zpsp1vzzejl.jpg

Just took it to a mechanic and he said the same thing as you, but it's very annoying yes. But I'm going to try to get 300 bhp out of the engine after my rebuild, so I'm thinking a new head would do good!

What head would you suggest? Something that is bolt on, or nearly bolt on is always great <3

Jdm Ej20k or non-avcs us-wrx heads should work better. However the ej20g pistons come out past the deck so you may need an extra thick gasket. I had a RSlibertyclub.org membership but they must of figured out I was American and I got banned without being able to post an introduction.

Don't use anything other than an OEM 10mm oil pump designed for the 22T. It is perfectly sufficient and your engine doesn't require any more flow. Search NASIOC if you want more specific information on the subject. If you had dual AVCS or looser bearing clearances than you could get away with it.

Archived