LegacyGT.com

1990 legacy l to legacy rs conversion help!

hi guys my name is trevor dean im from the united states i just picked up a 1990 legacy wagon l awd! im completely in love with it even for its age. but i want more. i know a version of the first generation legacy the legacy rs was a turbo model. i was wonder what the specific motor code to that motor is and a few other things

1. will my cross member be compatible with the new motor?

2. what the name of the turbo motor is i know i have the ej22 at the moment.

3 will my engine loom work with the the turbo ecu and turbo motor?

4. what else will i need beside the motor ecu and few other things to make it work.

any help will be more than appreciated and i am mechanically inclined thank you all and hope to get this build on the road asap!

The liberty rs motor was an ej20g. You will need a turbo crossmember or the balls to cut the n/a crossmember to make room for the turbo uppipe. I think you need a turbo ecu and harness to make it run correctly. I went with a standalone/wire in ecu.

I did this swap using a 2.2t engine, sti turbo and wrx intercooler, stock na ecu, holley -variable ratio via bleed port- fmu ( i wouldnt use or trust any other), 255lph pump, meth injection, and aem wideband. I can tune without detonation up to 20 psi, and run 13-15psi daily. would I do it again??? nope.

i would do a turbo ecu or a newer ecu with a harness merge.

1- notch the xmemeber, or replace with a turbo crossmember, (I think a company "subachad" makes an uppipe to clear the x member.

2- my engine is stamped ej22b but its refered to as ej22t

3- get all the underhood wiring if you can off the turbo car, including solenoids, and pressure sensors, and you will have to run a few sheilded wires directly to the ecu, as well as swap the cam and crank pins, or reverse the terminals.

4- you will need a downpipe, a GOOD true wideband air/fuel ratio meter ( not a fake autometer pos) ,and you will need much more time than you had expected.

having said all that you will have a kickass lil car after! If you have any specific questions just msg me!

my beginning:http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee110/bcmaxx/wbeaterr_zps1457e0cf.jpg

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee110/bcmaxx/20150603_202627_zpso3l88ook.jpg

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee110/bcmaxx/20150519_082543_zpsxnerkpqs.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
So I've come to the conclusion I will never have a ej22t and may just buy an ej20g and run my trans and rear diff into the ground until I get LSD and 6mt. Only question I have is if I Chang ecus to the ej20 ecu if I'll have to have the harness merged professionaly or not because **** wiring. Hopefully I can just use the ej22 in cab harness with ej20t ecu.

Archived