LegacyGT.com

2DIN head unit + McIntosh amp in top navi slot?

lyndondrake

Hi,

In my Legacy 3.0R B wagon MY05 RH drive ex Japan (NZ now), is it possible to replace the top navi screen (which as per the below pics doesn't add much of use to the car) with a 2DIN unit? I have in mind the Pioneer AppRadio 4 (USD 399 on Amazon at the mo; I'm iPhone only so quite comfortable with what it offers). What I'd really like to do is connect pre-outs from the Pioneer to the McInstosh amp unit, i.e. bypassing the McIntosh head unit altogether. I guess another alternative would be to run something from the Pioneer down to the Aux on the McIntosh head unit, leave the McIntosh always on Aux and then the head unit isn't useless and I don't have to rewire anything else.

Any thoughts on this?

Obviously I could get the double-DIN JDM faceplate and put the Pioneer down where the McIntosh head unit is currently, but I really feel uncomfortable about having the Maps app running that low instead of being able to just glance across at dash level. Plus the stuff on the OEM navi screen is completely useless, with the sole exception of the fuel consumption and remaining fuel tank distance.

However, I am unsure if the size of the navi screen and space in behind will allow the double-DIN Pioneer unit to fit. Has anyone tried this or similar? Do I need this JDM part: http://www.avojdm.com/product_info.php?cPath=26_54_60&products_id=109

Cheers,

Lyndon

IMG_0632.jpg.d0f0aa7f1327611da0ec2f838854a358.jpg

IMG_0631.jpg.8249dc9d2250ba6bb55a414801cd3a53.jpg

IMG_0630.jpg.1ea2cf9389928a1edcd999c57c6d5af3.jpg

IMG_0627.jpg.d97d2bb905ef32608b62ff6198561824.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Im not sure but the avo bezel is larger made for 7 in screens. If the double din system you are using is 7in in screen size, then itll fit. Thats what the avo kit was made for.

I bought an auto be more involved in my uninvolvedness . 200k+ Club

If you can't blind them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.

My high mileage turd.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived