LegacyGT.com

Job is done added coolant but thermo not open

I'm done my timing belt and finally added antifreeze. I poured it in slowly but I don't think the new thermostat is opening, there is no heat out the vents.

The temp needle went a bit under 3/4 up and no heat coming out the vents.

I've always had good luck before and never had to burp the system. I did a search for burping but didn't see the definitive way to get trapped air out of the system. If there is air down there at the thermo it won't open.

This is the last thing to complete before hitting the road. No coolant flowing means that the coolant temp sensor isn't going to get correct reading, etc.

Me again

- Raise front wheels, disconnect UPPER rad hose from rad. Pour in AF/coolant 'til you can see it filling hose, reconnect hose, and fill radiator @ cap. Fill overflow bottle, if needed.

- If it has the radiator 'burp' screw on the top of the passenger side open it, but not remove it.

- Start car

- When coolant (not steam) starts burbling out the burp screw, it's burped. Tighten screw.

- Or - if no screw

- When car gets to temp and fans come one, should be done.

- Let cool, top off radiator.

Yes, there are multiple other ways to do this....this works for me.

Thanks for the info.

I did it using my milking method. I squeeze upper rad hose, coolant in rad neck drops lower....add more coolant...do again and again. Not sure if it is a real method but it worked. I had forgotten that I had used that method before during other coolant re-fills.

Me again

- Raise front wheels, disconnect UPPER rad hose from rad. Pour in AF/coolant 'til you can see it filling hose, reconnect hose, and fill radiator @ cap. Fill overflow bottle, if needed.

- If it has the radiator 'burp' screw on the top of the passenger side open it, but not remove it.

- Start car

- When coolant (not steam) starts burbling out the burp screw, it's burped. Tighten screw.

- Or - if no screw

- When car gets to temp and fans come one, should be done.

- Let cool, top off radiator.

Yes, there are multiple other ways to do this....this works for me.

Archived