LegacyGT.com

Timining tensioner bracket from yard can't install belt

This morning I returned from the bones yard with the bracket that holds the timing tensioner pulley. Installed and ready to go with the belt.

An hour later --- what the heck!!!

I do not remember having such a hard time getting the belt on the 2.5. That issue was keeping all cam sprockets pointing the correct way. This 2.2 issue seems that the belt will not go over that water pump pulley and toothed gear idler. My hands are really beat up from trying to get the belt installed.

I've tried some tricks that the local subbie shop said, such as loosing up the tension pulley almost to the point it is off. It wobbles a bit to give more room to move but no luck.

Tried this guys technique

http://www.lovehorsepower.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=48&Itemid=64

The picture shows where I get stuck. I would remove the bottom left smooth idler but I am afraid. That was set at an incorrect torque, it actually did click the wrench so it is torqued at 59 without stripping threads. But I am afraid if I remove it the threads will come out with it or maybe even see a bolt snap.

I am really tempted to use something to pry the belt onto the sprocket idler. I know it is not the correct thing to do but. ..........?????

1610297136_stuckattheidlerandwaterpump.thumb.jpg.5da9efb75a32334a9f7814b404764232.jpg

I've tried with the toothed idler removed but not the other lower smooth idler to the bottom left (unseen in picture). That lower smooth idler is in there at 59 pounds and I really didn't want to remove it. But if it didn't have a problem getting torqued to 59 it shouldn't have a problem backing out.

So I am going to remove that lower smooth idler and today the motor will either become a boat anchor to me or the bolt will come out without any problem.

You need to remove that toothed idler and the one even more to the left which you dont see in the picture

After removing the toothed idler and the bottom smooth left idler, it was easy.

Fixed broken wires at Cam position sensor, started car and it sounds good.

You need to remove that toothed idler and the one even more to the left which you dont see in the picture

Archived