LegacyGT.com

16" wheels on LGT brakes?

blu_foz

Hi Everyone,

I've tried searching for this answer just about everywhere thinking someone would've tried this before, but I have been unsuccessful in finding an answer.

I did the poor man's brake upgrade on my Forester by upgrading to LGT brakes instead of the full STI upgrade, and I am curious if it would be possible to get 16" wheels to fit over these brakes.

My Forester has the 4EAT, and 2nd gear is too tall for autocross, I'm thinking I can cheat the system a little by going from 18" wheels to 16". This would improve acceleration and help with my gearing. It may also give me a little more clearance to run a wider tire, just thinking out loud.

Has anyone done this? Usually forum topics are "how big" or "how wide" can I go before rubbing, etc. How small?????????

My current autox tires are 235/45-18 RS-3's, which have a diameter of 26.4"

What I have been considering is going to Hoosier A7's on 17x9 RPF1's with a size of 275/35-17, which has a diameter of 24.7". More grip, smaller diameter. I've never hit the top of second autoxing, so I know I can reduce the diameter without restricting myself.

I've not been able to find a good tire for a 16" wheel that does not have more sidewall and a greater overall diameter than the A7's I mentioned already, so it may not matter at all.

the 275/35/17 is the right size to run. that is the solution on a 17" wheel. you can also do 285/30/18 as well depending on how wide your current 18's are. that diameter is around 25"

If you are considering running r-comps, you may not want to kill top speed in 2nd too much. that added grip may get you to the end of 2nd with a taller tire.

My current 18's aren't wide enough for a 285.

I will admit, I had not considered the fact that the added grip of r-comps would lead to higher exit speeds and coming closer to the top of second without changing diameter. I think I am still safe with the 275/35-17 since the difference compared to what I have now is only -6.5%. I've never gotten above 6k RPM in second. So I have the wiggle room to support this change.

Archived