LegacyGT.com

Tire wear... and different sizes

gjeff80

Question for you guys... I have an 05 Legacy GT, and my rear tires were out of alignment and wore one of my rear tires out much sooner than the fronts. I have the continential DWS tires on the front and they have 8-9/32 of tread left on them. New the tires come with 11/32 of tread. I want to get 2 new ones for the rear, tire rack can shave them down for $25 each, but I was wondering if that is even necessary?

Do the rear tires wear faster on the Subaru's? If I left the new tires on the rear longer without rotating them would they wear faster and catch up to the fronts?

Thanks

Glenn

Is you alignment corrected? Best practice is to get 4 new tires, of have the 2 new ones shaved. you could probably do what you are saying, but with the alignment corrected, it should not wear the way you want them to, to make them even.

make sure you get a good alignment if you havent done it yet.

I just got the alignment corrected, the rear toe was out pretty bad, so that was corrected. So best recommendation would be to just pay the $25 per tire and have tirerack shave them down to 9/32 tread depth I'm guessing. I was told that if the wear is with 2/32 it shouldn't be an issue but figured I'd ask you guys what you thought. I didn't know if you guys found that the rears of the Subaru's wore faster than the fronts.

Archived