LegacyGT.com

Turbo Cross Member Swap

Just wanted to put out this interesting bit of technical detail.

Swapping a 02 WRX turbo front cross member into my 95 Legacy. I'm keeping the original legacy Lower Control Arms (LCAs).

Ran into an issue with the Lego LCAs. Compared to the LCA's that came off the 02 WRX, the 95 Lego forward (front?) LCA bushing is ~0.2" shorter. This means there is a gap between the bushing the connection point on the subframe. Clearly not a safe thing to slap back together.

Checked the bolts from the WRX. Both the bolts from the 95 Lego and 02 WRX were the same length. I'm assuming both are OEM bolts to each car, but I am not the original owner of either vehicle. The WRX bolt measured at .575" thick and the Lego bolt measured in at .570" thick. This is at the "non-threaded" portion of the bolt. The WRX bolt also seems to be lighter weight, and has an "aluminum" like coating. I'm not sure if the WRX is actually lighter, but it is not the same material/coating. The thread is m12x1.25 on both bolts.

My solution at the moment is to install the original Lego rearward LCA bushing to the chassis first. Then inspect the position of the forward LCA Bushing. I suppose I'll need to make a shim out of M12 washers (I think 7/16" also may fit). I will most likely reuse the original Lego bolts. Don't want any worries about slight thicker bolt causing issues later on!

I'll post back what I figure out.

• 2 weeks later...

Ended up using four washers per side. Grade 8, 7/16" was the wasjhers I ended up using as grade 8 is yellow zinc coated.

I have not put the car back on the ground, but LCAs flexed with a jack. Still need to road test to ensure no binding, but I do not suspect any problems.

you should have used a wrx wagon crossmember. they match 1st/2nd gen legacy and 1st gen impreza. the 02+ sedan ones are different

IIRC

So are you saying that the WRX turbo wagon cross member will be the part used if turboing a 98 BD?

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk

Hahaha it does fit, it just means you need to upgrade your bushings!

Just to be clear, everything does line up on the legacy...including the legacy lower control arms, ej22 motor, wrx uppipe, the 2nd gen legacy power steering rack, the ej22 oil pan clears, tie rods clear, etc.

The only issue is that the 95 legacy L has the single bolt, one clip sway bar mounts (19mm front). I had already picked up a 20mm sway bar and brackets rom a 2nd gen outback. The out back has the two bolt mount which does match the wrx crossmember.

I've done hella searches and keeping the EJ25D is the way I want to go. From what I see, the 1990-1994 Turbo Legacy crossmember is a direct bolt on to the 1996-98 (and 95). Since finding that part is like finding a good woman in the northeast, you are saying that the GG nets the same result. I guess my question is, is there a difference for the two motors since we are talking chassis and not necessarily engine.

Newb Subie owner. Still working my way around the chassis world. Nissan was way simpler in terms of that. But Subies are like Legos hahaha

1998 5MT Subaru Legacy GT Limited

1992 5MT Nissan 240SX Coupe

all EJ engine crossmembers are swappable on any EJ chassis.

For motor compatibility, ANY non-turbo EJ motor can fit on ANY EJ engine crossmember.

ANY EJ turbo motor can fit on any EJ turbo engine crossmember.

for chassis compatibility, the GD sedans use different control arms than GG (2nd gen impreza wagon), GM/GC/GF (1st gen impreza), and 1st-3rd gen legacy

also there are different ways of mounting steering racks the newer you get

That's solid.

As for my BD exhaust in the meantime, can I run a WRX cat OR axle back provided in have a "step-up" fabricated to open the UELs from 2.5" to 3".

The headers are currently in now, but the angle they come out is not 180° to the rear but more like 90° towards the passenger. So spending the money on a new cat is almost unavoidable.

UEL headers ----> cat converter ----> (fabricated flange opener 2.5" to 3"---> WRX cat back exhaust?

1998 5MT Subaru Legacy GT Limited

1992 5MT Nissan 240SX Coupe

Archived