LegacyGT.com

Is it possible to install struts/springs backwards?! May have screwed up...

Cerebral_1

Hey guys, I just installed new rear Rallitek overload springs and KYB struts, and I am waiting for an alignment right now. Wasn't a huge pain, but took forever with just hand tools (no impact).

Anyway, after removing the old struts, I was so excited to put the new ones together and get them in, I realize I should've been more careful. Right before I put my wheels on last night, I saw that the one shock body has the KYB sticker facing OUTSIDE, and the other one has the KYB sticker facing INSIDE--does anyone know if these are symmetrical? Should this matter or affect strut life/performance?

Also, I recall the bottom spring perches on the original shocks were oriented so the bottom end of the springs were facing INSIDE. After installation, I have one facing OUTSIDE (the one on the strut with the KYB sticker facing outside), and the other one facing inside but at a slight off-angle (I think rotated toward the front). Should the shocks operate the same way regardless of orientation? Or does this make a big difference?

Lastly, not sure if it's related or not, but I now have a noise from the rear I didn't have before. Starting at about 20 mph, I get a whirring/pulsating sound that increases with speed, even in neutral. It almost sounds like something is rubbing (I installed wider tires last month), but I checked underneath and have clearance all around :confused:

This was my first time doing my own struts/springs and I've learned a lot, including the need to be more detail-oriented. I would rather not take everything apart again, especially since I am about to go on a road trip today, but want to get it right and definitely don't want to damage anything.

Any thoughts or advice is MUCH appreciated!

Thanks!

What about the springs? Do they need to be set in a specific orientation relative to the shock/hub? I'm guessing it matters less since I am using new springs instead of reusing the old ones (old ones could have issues lining up if not installing in the same direction they were originally)...but I'm not sure.

Archived