LegacyGT.com

Traction Control off and check engine flashing: What does this mean?

I have a 2008 Outback Wagon with 136K miles.

Recently, the car started shuddering a bit while driving with the RPMs below 2500 but only when the car is warmed up with more than 30 minutes of driving.

My work around is to down shift and get the engine up above 2500. It doesn't matter what speed I am driving.

Today the shuddering intensified and during this episode, the traction control off symbol appeared along with a flashing check engine light.

This lasted for a while then both of them disappeared. There are no codes stored.

Any idea what this means?

Well the traction control off light and check engine light finally turned from flashing to full on and the cruise control light starting flashing. The shuddering became near constant.

The check engine code was P0304 which is misfire on spark plug 4.

I checked the wires and found that #4 had come unplug.

Plugged it back in, cleared the codes and now everything seems fine.

I'm still not sure why the traction control light came on but somehow it was related.

In my experience, both traction control and flashing cruise have come on every time I've had a CEL. It is just something these cars do. I think cruise is mostly to get your attention while traction control is probably disabled because it could be problematic to implement with a bad sensor.

Archived