LegacyGT.com

Dremeling the Calipers

praedet

Hey folks. If I am planning on smoothing out the calipers with a Dremel before painting them, (removing mold lines, etc) which bit should I use on the dremel? I am new to using the dremel for this type of stuff, so I am kind at a loss.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Ted

:spin:

IMO, don't do this with a dremal. Unless you are very talented with a dremal, more then likely you will end up with scaps and gouges if you are doing anything more then removing the mold flashing. I wouldn't attempt it, and I have created many complicated sculptures and prototypes with almost just a dremal.

If you really want the smooth look on your calipers, I think you have two options. Break out the sanding block, and use progressively finer grip sanding paper. This will take a LOT of time AND patience, but can be done with good results. Or, you can paint the calipers using the thicker epoxy/enamel type paint. A few coats with smooth things out and you'll have spiffy looking calipers.

Oh, forgot an option, buy new calipers. BBK anyone?;)

Why not a wire brush on a dremel? I would think at low speeds it should be close to the grinder...

I will mainly be getting rid of the line that runs straight down the caliper, from one end to the other. I figured that i would be cleaning them anyway before the paint, why not get rid of that line.

As far as a BBK, maybe an AP or Stoptech one in my future, but not for another 6-8 months at least, so I figured I would make these look nice for a while...

Ted

:spin:

Archived