LegacyGT.com

And next is suspension

Vengeance68

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Spec Miata is the Chuck Norris of Miatas. There's a reason they are outlawed in lemons/chumpcar racing.

Come on now... just like a crappy pizza is still pizza, a Spec Miata.... say it with me... is still a Miata [emoji12]

To be serious, I have seen some beast Miatas out there... I'm just jealous I can't be seen, err I mean fit in one. LOL

You know I'm just bustin' chops, right?

Bringing the pain since 1968

Come on now... just like a crappy pizza is still pizza, a Spec Miata.... say it with me... is still a Miata [emoji12]

To be serious, I have seen some beast Miatas out there... I'm just jealous I can't be seen, err I mean fit in one. LOL

You know I'm just bustin' chops, right?

It's on now. Them's fighting words, and I'm itching to use my ban hammer...

It's all good. The Miata was not my first choice in racecars either, however, the deal was too good to pass up. Even in my current Buddha like configuration I can get in and drive with no issues.

It's on now. Them's fighting words, and I'm itching to use my ban hammer...

It's all good. The Miata was not my first choice in racecars either, however, the deal was too good to pass up. Even in my current Buddha like configuration I can get in and drive with no issues.

Ban Hammer... Clown![emoji1] That makes you the "Thor" of the forums.

Buddha config. Lmao

Heck even at 225 with 13% body fat I could barely squreze into one back in the day, my buddy Dante had one.

Love my LGT, plenty of growing room. D'oh

Okay time for an update...

Yesterday I went ahead and installed the new KYB Excel-G struts, Paranoid Fabrications' .5" anti-sag spacers, Whiteline adjustable front top-hats and H&R sport springs.

The worst part of the whole install was breaking the nuts/bolts which are 186k miles old.

Two of my stock struts were completely shot and two were at best mediocre.

I measured the pre-install height and the car was sitting 3/4" higher on one side than the other.

While doing this install I inspected all my bushings and they are all shot, so they are on my to-do list.

Just with new struts and springs the car rides and handles much much better, I cannot wait until I get everything done with the suspension.

I set up the Whiteline front top-hats for maximum caster and minimum camber.

The tricky part were the front camber bolts. Since I was installing new struts, marking the camber bolts and old struts was useless. However I did mark the bolts so they were relatively close side-to-side and it looks like I was only off by a hair.

Either way I am getting an alignment within the next two weeks.

There was a noticeable drop to the front but the back seemed higher. This was due to the .5" saggy butt spacers. When the new springs settle in and the car sits at its lowest I should have about a 1" drop in the rear. This will give it a minor raked appearance but it does not concern me too much as I prefer a car to rotate quicker in the rear when cornering rather than push in the front. This is also the same reason I am keeping my stock front sway-bar and only increasing the rear sway-bar. (see modified list below)

I have modified what I will be doing with it however based on some conversations I have been having with my favorite guru JmP.

I will be replacing/adding;

Rear sway-bar with the AVO 20mm rear sway-bar

Front and rear sway-bar end-links

Whiteline rear camber kit

AVO rear sway-bar mount braces

Front sway-bar bushings

Every other bushing and ball-joint I can change.

Before images

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/11/a645b30121c99f366ff2367861fc48d2.jpg

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/11/db033dd9127cae4c5b688d9310f4584c.jpg

Right after installation images

Just realized a WRX photo-bombed me.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/11/d5c3df27d22f280c0c426e0996183b30.jpg

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/11/ae2b9a9ba3010f38ade9ae7044773755.jpg

If I do go with a front sway it will be after I go with just a rear bar upgrade and new end-links front and rear.

I prefer a car that rotates faster due to my years of racing my wagon, it is what I'm comfortable with.

I do understand what you are saying but the 21mm bar up front with fresh bushings and adj. end-links should be all I really need on that end. However, if it is not then yes I will step up to a 22mm bar.

As of right now the bodly roll has been reduced significantly with the new struts and springs. I do need to allow for some give on the sways or that will hurt me just as bad as too much.

Do I know exactly what my setup will be right now? No, but I also do not need to go overboard right off, rather I will make changes and see where I sit with it and make more changes as I require based on my driving style.

Thank you,

J

I'd be happy to meet up with you and give my opinion. Seeing as you have done most of the upgrades, it shouldn't cost you anything more.

Baaaahahaha, your opinion would be free? I just re-read your post after some sleep.[emoji6]

I had to put that in there. Everytime I ride in someone's car, there's a "upgrading my car" thread shortly thereafter. [emoji38]

That is awesome... I think Tris told me it was you who got his car to break loose.[emoji1]

That is awesome... I think Tris told me it was you who got his car to break loose.[emoji1]

Yeah, that was pretty funny.

Tris: Yadda, yadda my car is awesome. Woah! do that again!

Me: Woah! Your brakes suck, and your suspension is a bit loose

Tris: No its all fine

Car: tires howling

Me: No, I think its supposed to stop when you press the pedal.

several months pass

Tris: So I did a suspension upgrade

Me: Oh, what? Replace the struts?

Tris: No, I painted the rear swaybar pink!

:hide:

Yeah, that was pretty funny.

Tris: Yadda, yadda my car is awesome. Woah! do that again!

Me: Woah! Your brakes suck, and your suspension is a bit loose

Tris: No its all fine

Car: tires howling

Me: No, I think its supposed to stop when you press the pedal.

several months pass

Tris: So I did a suspension upgrade

Me: Oh, what? Replace the struts?

Tris: No, I painted the rear swaybar pink!

:hide:

You are pulling my leg, right? ;D

Took the car in for an alignment and come to see the cam bolts in the front don't allow for enough adjustment.

I need to find new cam bolts that allow for greater adjustment.

Anyone know where I can find these?

J

Archived