LegacyGT.com

'91 Turbo HELP

Today on my lunchbreak I bottomed out HARD in South Seattle. Basically the damage done that I am worried about is that the tubro is leaking oild now, and it looks like a fitting on the turbo (it is a rotated t3/t4 setup) is done.

The turbo is old, and has been showing signs of wear, so I think my best bet is replacing it.

I know someone with a turbo off of a 2014 STi, and after talking to Andrew at PIA, it looks like it would fit (with obvious fabrication work) and it would need a coolant line (the new turbo is oil and coolant cooled).

After talking to Steve, he said that there should be a coolant return at the back of the engine.

Does anyone know anything else about these 2014 STi turbos that I should know before diving in? I'm sure it is pretty difficult to help out because the EJ22T in this car has been modified quite a bit. Major modifications include the rotated turbo setup, a top mount, 550cc injectors, so it should be able to use the 2014 turbo... hopefully...

I believe the T3/T4 turbos have a different flange on both the up pipe and down pipe sides than the Subaru stock turbos. Your easiest option is probably to get a replacement for the turbo you have, otherwise you get into a lot of fabrication and/or plumbing of water, oil, and exhaust and intake sides of the turbo.

I believe the T3/T4 turbos have a different flange on both the up pipe and down pipe sides than the Subaru stock turbos. Your easiest option is probably to get a replacement for the turbo you have, otherwise you get into a lot of fabrication and/or plumbing of water, oil, and exhaust and intake sides of the turbo.

Shoot... Any way to get Subaru flanges and weld them on to my up/down pipes? Otherwise, yeah, I just wouldn't want to wait for shipping on a T3/T4... It's my only functioning car at the moment.

What about the wastegate? Doesn't the T3 have an external? The Subaru turbos are internal so you would need a bellmouth downpipe.

This one has an internal wastegate. I'm finding them online, I think I'm going to park it at my parents' tonight and tear it apart to see what I have. Replacing it straight across sounds like the best option right now.

Know anything about the company CXRacing? Might be getting a turbo from them... Hopefully they can expedite.

http://www.cxracing.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=TRB-T3T4-V

Took the intercooler off last night and started taking hoses off, looks like this old turbo has coolant and oil lines, and the bellhousing is identical to the Subaru ones.

Appears to be a Garrett T3/T4 .48 AR

A t3t4 turbo is not going to have Subaru style housings. Take some pics and post them up. Do you have stock headers? Single port or dual port exhaust from the heads? They made both... You might be able to swap to a stock exhaust on the cheap. I've got a stock manifold and upipe laying around, though, its catted and you would probably do better locally cause you wouldn't have to ship.

My downpipe will work and if it doesn't I have a nice one from my old '06 that I'm thinking about getting to fit (shouldn't be a problem at all), and as far as the uppipe goes I might just get the correct flange and cut and weld it onto the old uppipe if I don't track down a different one that will fit. I'm wondering if a standard STi uppipe would fit my old EJ22T.

Going to get the VF39 today (it was described to me as off of a 2014 at first but it's going to be off of a 2004-05 STi), then need to order a few other parts and see what I can do from there.

At this point I don't want to go back to a T3/T4 setup, I would prefer to have something that looks a little more familiar.

A t3t4 turbo is not going to have Subaru style housings. Take some pics and post them up. Do you have stock headers? Single port or dual port exhaust from the heads? They made both... You might be able to swap to a stock exhaust on the cheap. I've got a stock manifold and upipe laying around, though, its catted and you would probably do better locally cause you wouldn't have to ship.

It would be really nice if it was a dual port, as http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/pts/5052289886.html would be rather nice to pick up.

I'll check it out today to see, unless someone knows what these EJ22Ts shipped with. I'm going to do some research before I drive over to check it.

EDIT: Confirmed fitment, should be working on it next weekend

^ yep, all EJ20G/K/H, EJ22T, EJ205/7 and EJ255/7 factory headers, uppipe and downpipe are interchangeable with all Subaru factory turbos from those same engines.

Picking the header and uppipe today! Awesome how they're so interchangeable.

Update: Grabbed the VF39 yesterday, looks good, got it for a deal from a friend. Headers today, figured out that my old intercooler won't work so I will be tracking down a WRX one.

Using the COBB catted downpipe that I took off of my Spec.B, so the old exhaust will have to be modified and flanged to fit it.

My biggest concern is getting the right hoses now, I think everything else should fit together rather well. Going to be a week of fitting stuff together and guessing what size hoses I will be needing, and then crossing my fingers that the work about to be put in this weekend will go well :lol:

Yeah the plumbing is going to be the biggest headache. All the hoses and pipes and stuff. You could probably pick up a catted DP for a 02-07 WRX pretty cheap locally on Craigslist. It might cost you that much to have the SpecB one modified. On the 08+WRX/STi and 05+LGT, the flange is different and the bends under the car a little different, so it's not as easy as you may think.

Yeah the plumbing is going to be the biggest headache. All the hoses and pipes and stuff. You could probably pick up a catted DP for a 02-07 WRX pretty cheap locally on Craigslist. It might cost you that much to have the SpecB one modified. On the 08+WRX/STi and 05+LGT, the flange is different and the bends under the car a little different, so it's not as easy as you may think.

That is a good piece of information to have... I'll start searching for one! I'd like to get this down to 1 or 2 headaches if possible :)

I'm gonna move this thread to the 1st gen section, out of this powertrain tech section. The folks that tend to frequent this section don't seem to have too much input, and there are more active 1st gen guys in that 1st gen subforum. It would be good to get a little more input from others.

I'm gonna move this thread to the 1st gen section, out of this powertrain tech section. The folks that tend to frequent this section don't seem to have too much input, and there are more active 1st gen guys in that 1st gen subforum. It would be good to get a little more input from others.

Probably a good idea, thank you sir!

• 1 month later...

Last Update:

Car is all together, up/turbo/down/intercooler/BOV/hoses all in and secure, had the exhaust cut and flanged this morning and drove it the 25 miles to work.

EVERYTHING IS GOOD TO GO!!! Using random OEM Subaru parts worked great, had to piece and intake together that would fit and I had -just- enough room to get it to fit.

The car sounds fantastic! I'll be fiddling with the air to fuel ratio and boost for the next week or so but to get me to work and back it is great.

awseome! any pics?

I will update with pictures in a few days, decided that I want to get rid of the old $30 craigslist Greddy atmospheric BOV that doesn't hold boost too well in favor of a recirculating one :lol:

Archived