LegacyGT.com

Perrin inlet/Crawford AOS install questions

SSpeed

I just got done putting the engine back in the Outback and changing the valve cover gasket on the Legacy, going with the feelings of success, I decided to install a Perrin inlet on the Legacy. I've spent more time on this @#$% thing than I did pulling the Outback engine, and I'm way confused by Perrin's instructions.

I've laid the two hoses out side by side here for my questions. There isn't a lot of difference between the two besides the Perrin short-turn radius is smoother. Anyway, first my pic with questions on the pic.

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k62/dil222/20150525_163934.jpg

The PCV bracket can be removed with the Crawford AOS and I've capped the "spigot" I would pipe PCV back in to the intake with, so far so good. I plan to tape that cap better.

Perrin has a "special note" for the '05-'08 Legacy GT.

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k62/dil222/specialnotes.jpg

I've jumpered the connector and tucked it away, no big deal. What I'm confused about is their text that reads, "Grey connector and hose will not be reinstalled." I get the grey connector, but the hose has to get reconnected.

It's even more confusing when you look at what step 8 says:

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k62/dil222/step8.jpg

My assumption is this is the WRX instructions and I DO NOT cut the hose on the Legacy, since it seems to be about right, albeit short by the length of the PCV diagnosis connector.

The installed pic seems to show the Crankcase vent is in a different place for the WRX, hence the instructions?

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k62/dil222/question.jpg

Do I just find a 90deg hose about an inch longer for that crankcase vent, and do I have the cap for the PCV removal/AOS install right?

I recently spent hours converting from a Perrin+Crawford back to a Perrin+Stock. Such fun!

Your questions in the first image:

1) Completely remove this line and bracket? Yes! You will not use the hard plastic valve cover breather tube and the 4" long rubber tube to the intake. If you already had the Crawford installed, you would have already removed this stuff. On the stock PCV setup, the valve cover breather hoses (one for each head) attach to the hard plastic tube thing and draw air from the intake into the valve covers. In the Crawford AOS setup, this scheme is unused. Instead, the valve cover breather hoses connect to the AOS unit instead of the intake.

2) Perrin says this connector and hose are not reused. How? That's correct. That hose and connector were the stock PCV connection to the intake. That dangling connector was a bogus thing, anyways. It's sensor was just a loopback connection, if I recall. With the stock PCV setup, Perrin ditches that and they have you cut the rubber tube and cleanly plumb it directly into their intake. With the Crawford unit, you now take the crankcase vent directly up to the AOS unit. THe AOS unit then routes the oil-cleansed crank vent air to the intake.

So if you have the Crawford, you won't be cutting anything. The line doesn't exist anymore because the AOS replaces the PCV hose that ran to the intake. That's why the Crawford has you cap off that port. The AOS setup only has 1 port (from the top of the AOS) required on the intake while the stock PCV requires 2 ports (valve cover breather + PCV vacuum line w/ connector/plastic thing).

Thanks for the reply.

So, cap is in the right place?

Ditch the line totally since the AOS will connect to the port on the motor and the intake. That has to be fun to install that line from the AOS to the intake when someone is only doing AOS.

I'm scared to ask, why did you convert back? This might be a bad reason to install one, but I'm spraying a lot of oil in to the intercooler (a quart every 3000 miles). Turbo shaft play is fine, so my simple reasoning thinks it's blow-by. I figure with the AOS I can either confirm or rule it out.

Thanks for the reply.

So, cap is in the right place?

Ditch the line totally since the AOS will connect to the port on the motor and the intake. That has to be fun to install that line from the AOS to the intake when someone is only doing AOS.

I'm scared to ask, why did you convert back? This might be a bad reason to install one, but I'm spraying a lot of oil in to the intercooler (a quart every 3000 miles). Turbo shaft play is fine, so my simple reasoning thinks it's blow-by. I figure with the AOS I can either confirm or rule it out.

Yeah, your cap location on the intake is fine. The intake is just a tube, so you can actually cap off any port you want.

And you're right, the AOS port into the stock intake is really buried in there!

I converted back to stock PCV because of cold weather issues. I had a lot of short commutes and the Northeast was extremely cold this year (entire month of February never saw the temperature rise above freezing). I got water condensation in the AOS hoses because of my 7 minute commute and the system froze up completely. The result was crankcase pressure buildup which pushed oil up the turbo drain and out the turbo seals. The turbo dumped a quart in the up-pipe and intake. Everything is good now though once I went back to the stock PCV and had the turbo rebuilt.

Last Fall, my turbo started to leak into my intercooler. It slowly got worse until one day I got a smoke cloud out of my exhaust after I pulled off a highway. I believe oil had pooled in the manifold or throttle body and then dripped into the motor when I exited the highway. I had zero shaft play but leaked oil anyways. I had JmP rebuild my turbo and he looked it over. He was a little surprised to see an oil leak despite the tight bearings. I also had a small amount of oil leaking out of the turbo V-band clamp. You'd have to really look from underneath the car to see the leak. Oil never made it to the ground.

Good luck with the oil issue! I guess I was lucky that I had a failing turbo instead of a blow-by. I'll be curious what yours ends up being. Hopefully the AOS does work as separating the oil so you can troubleshoot it.

Which turbo did you have? My dad, a retired diesel mechanic of 40 years, told me he thinks it's my turbo seals and not blow-by. I tend to wonder, my ProcessWest turbo outlet hose gets wet on the outside, the silicone seems to be saturated.

I don't like hearing AOS stories such as that one. I've heard a couple. Even with the coolant lines it froze up?

I have a VF52. Silicone hoses will ooze oil (unlike the PCV evac rubber hose). During boost on a stock PCV setup, crankcase pressure is vented into the inlet hose via the PCV valve. Under vacuum, crankcase vented fumes get sucked directly into the manifold and you'd never see the oil.

So if you had blow-by during boost, it would get sucked into the inlet. This would get oil on the turbo outlet hose and it would seep through the silicone. Alternatively, a leaking seal in the turbo would give the same symptom.

And yeah, the coolant lines never warmed up enough on the cold days for a 7 minute commute. You really need a good 20+ minute drive to burn out all the condensation from the engine.

Sorry, the instructions are geared towards the 08-14 WRX, so it will be a little different from the LGT.

If you already have an AOS installed, it should be easy, the cap where you have it will be fine, and just have the one clean line from the AOS going back to the inlet, and you'll be set, since both the valve cover and crankcase vents should be merged already.

Sorry, the instructions are geared towards the 08-14 WRX, so it will be a little different from the LGT.

If you already have an AOS installed, it should be easy, the cap where you have it will be fine, and just have the one clean line from the AOS going back to the inlet, and you'll be set, since both the valve cover and crankcase vents should be merged already.

Awesome, thank you for checking in and giving feedback!

Just for the reference of anyone doing this.

Perrin inlet is designed for '08+ WRX.

BPV hose for '08+ WRX is 14465AA100.

The LGT hose is 14465AA070.

I'm betting the '08+ WRX bpv hose works beautifully, whereas the LGT one is too short due to slightly different placement.

Yeah, your cap location on the intake is fine. The intake is just a tube, so you can actually cap off any port you want.

And you're right, the AOS port into the stock intake is really buried in there!

I converted back to stock PCV because of cold weather issues. I had a lot of short commutes and the Northeast was extremely cold this year (entire month of February never saw the temperature rise above freezing). I got water condensation in the AOS hoses because of my 7 minute commute and the system froze up completely. The result was crankcase pressure buildup which pushed oil up the turbo drain and out the turbo seals. The turbo dumped a quart in the up-pipe and intake. Everything is good now though once I went back to the stock PCV and had the turbo rebuilt.

Last Fall, my turbo started to leak into my intercooler. It slowly got worse until one day I got a smoke cloud out of my exhaust after I pulled off a highway. I believe oil had pooled in the manifold or throttle body and then dripped into the motor when I exited the highway. I had zero shaft play but leaked oil anyways. I had JmP rebuild my turbo and he looked it over. He was a little surprised to see an oil leak despite the tight bearings. I also had a small amount of oil leaking out of the turbo V-band clamp. You'd have to really look from underneath the car to see the leak. Oil never made it to the ground.

Good luck with the oil issue! I guess I was lucky that I had a failing turbo instead of a blow-by. I'll be curious what yours ends up being. Hopefully the AOS does work as separating the oil so you can troubleshoot it.

The newer Crawford has radiator fluid connections to keep it warm in the winter

The newer Crawford has radiator fluid connections to keep it warm in the winter

I own(ed) the newest Crawford with the coolant lines. It didn't help. A 10 minute drive when it's -15F won't create warm coolant.

Archived