LegacyGT.com

changing stock exhaust

1kotic1

Hey there. I just have a couple questions i have a subaru legacy 2.5L H4 DOHC 16V TURBO and would like to know 1st what the performance difference is between getting a full exhaust sytem compared to a cat-back sytem? And 2nd whats the best aftermarket exhaust to get for this car? I live in california now but the car will be actually in tennesse. I'm already looking into a cold air intake and possibly a rechip or dyno or diablo tune? I would really like your opinions since i have never worked on a subaru before.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd say it will all depend on what you're planing on doing. When you say full I'm guessing you mean from the turbo all the way to the back? You'd have the down-pipe which would contain the cat and then the cat-back after it.

Your going to get gains by going with a different downpipe, however you will need to get a tune and you'll be "stage 2". A cat-back doesn't require a tune but can make the exhaust much louder.

Don't do the cold air unless you get the tune shortly after.

-Britton

Start here: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/unofficial-legacy-gt-stage-upgrade-definitions-48123.html

You can skip stage 1 and 2 and go directly to 3.

Tuning: http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/tuning-84.html

I highly recommend a pro-tune.

Stay with the stock air box if you decide to stick with stage 1-2.

Imo, catbacks are more for sound with minimal performance gains. A full exhaust system would have to put you on stage 2 up as an aftermarket downpipe would be part of the full system.

I suggest going with suspension and brake upgrades first. They were the best back for the buck for me.

Best bang-for-buck is a stage 2 tune. Most owners will be happy with the stage 2 setup. Tune and downpipe (and a catless uppipe on the 05-06 cars).

Cold air intake is for Hondas. The factory intake is very efficient and works great until about 350whp. Get a high flow reusable panel filter and you'll enjoy the factory setup.

What year car do you have? How much money do you have in savings (I ask because you should have about $5k in "emergency" funds for this car to cover new motor expenses).

• 3 weeks later...
Thank you Great Britton, parad1mg and compsurge for your replies! The car is an '08. Like i said in my profile, the real owner is overseas in the military and I'm just taking care of thge car for him and doing some upgrades. He doesn't know much about cars and is looking forward to the changes I do make b4 he gets back. he wants it louder. and how much does a stage 2 tune run roughly? 2008 subaru legacy 2.5L H4 DOHC 16V TURBO

I'm not sure where you posted that information regarding the real owner being overseas.

I'm also not sure I condone modifying someone else's vehicle without express written consent. I would also not modify one of these cars if the owner is not attune to car modifications. There will be future issues that crop up that need an owner that knows what to look for.

Thanks for the concern, but I have consent. How it works is I'm doing research on it and so does he. We compare notes and he decides what he wants to do, pays for it and has it sent to me, where I then have the work done. So I'm not the final decision maker just installer. I posted the info when i first signed up under the part where they want to know a little about you.

Stage 2 tune comes with a accessport. As simple as installing the parts and flashing the ecu.

As others stated if he's not familiar with cars these cars may not be the best to start messing with. Bills can quickly get get high for repairs/maintenance.

Has all the general maintenance been done? Timing belt, water pump, fluids, etc. All that stuff should be done long before adding power or trouble will soon follow.

Understood. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't going to be a "hey bro look what I did to your ride" situation.

As far as getting the car set up, here are some good parts to start with:

Catted Downpipe: Grimmspeed, TurboXS, Cobb, Grimmspeed being my personal favorite, but you could get a proper GESi cat (Vibrant 7530) welded in to any catless pipe

Panel Filter - AFE

Exhaust: TurboXS midsection exhaust, possibly the rear mufflers, properly fitting Stromung. If using stock catback, get a 3" to 2.5" adapter if required.

Suspension: Whiteline antiswaybars, Kartboy endlinks, Koni yellow struts, spring of your choice (I think 1" below stock is a good spot)

Tuning: Tactrix cable or Cobb Accessport (I'd go with Tactrix)

Archived