LegacyGT.com

JDM 6 Speed Strange Engine Noise?

Hi,

Last week I picked up my JDM GT Spec B, a six speed, from my dealer.

Been driving it around a little and have noticed a noise I am not familiar with.

Its like a metallic sound, hard to explain, in the video its loudest on the first blip of the accelerator I make.

Could it be exhaust leak, noise is more apparent underneath the car rather from on top in the engine bay. Or could it be the starter ring gear slightly touching the flywheel?

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

Couldn't figure out how to post the Youtube video so please click the link above, thanks!

The ring gear is on the flywheel so they are always touching. I'd check for exhaust leaks first. Hold some rags over the exhaust tips and listen/feel for leaks. Check around the engine bay for any location that may be touching when the engine torques.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I actually took the car back to the dealer I purchased it from.

They had a good look and listen and could not come up with any definite answer as to what the problem, if any, could be.

They did mention that changing the oil of the transfer box might quieten it down a little.

But I was under the impression that this car does not have a transfer box?

Unless of course they mean the bit on the end of the gear box that attaches to the prop shaft.

Would changing the gearbox oil also change the oil in this supposed 'transfer box'?

The manual transmissions have one shared oil source, so it would be a full oil change. It is worth doing anyway if the oil is due for service.

Other than the heat shields, maybe the turbo wastegate or bypass valve could be culprit.

The manual transmissions have one shared oil source, so it would be a full oil change. It is worth doing anyway if the oil is due for service.

Other than the heat shields, maybe the turbo wastegate or bypass valve could be culprit.

OK, thanks for the information.

When you say wastegate, do you mean the actuator or the actual gate within the turbo?

Also, any idea what the is the proper name given to what the dealer described as the 'transfer box'?

Cheers :)

• 3 weeks later...

I am now 90% certain its the wastegate rattling.

I used a stethoscope to listen while my son blipped the throttle, listened all over the engine bay, transmission and exhaust, then put the end of the stethoscope on the actuator rod and the noise was very clear and apparent.

Its a stock actuator and does not look to be adjustable. Can I replace it with something better or would I be best to just get another OEM one?

If the wastegate inside the turbo has failed, can that be replaced or will I need a new turbo? :eek:

Cheers :)

Archived