LegacyGT.com

Bent Valves, need help or advice.

Billabong672

So I recently had the timing belt done (one long story) and apparently the shop did not replace the belt tensioner. This lead to the timing belt skipping teeth, and the valves had a bit of a get together with the pistons. I cannot get any help from anywhere, and I absolutely refuse to take the car back to the shop mainly because every time I have gotten the car back from the shop, I got it back worse than it was when I took it to them. That, and I'm located in York, and the shop is in Lancaster (Bought the car from Keim, had it serviced there because of the third party warranty).

Now, my warranty has expired, I'm currently broke due to spending a majority of my money on repairing this car. I am not a mechanic by any standard, although I will lend a hand where I can. The reason for this post is, aside from the timing belt, tensioner, valves, and pistons, what else should I look at having replaced? Secondly, should I eventually get the parts lined up, would anyone be willing to help tear it down and put on the new bits? (May take a while to get the parts due to being low on funds) All of that said, I would be able to pitch in a case or two of beer, along with some pizza or other food.

Thanks in advance for any help!

If I could prove or even reliably show that a shop had severely damaged my car with an incorrect installation of a maintenance item (and really, there's no good excuse for such a major mistake), I would be talking to that shop about what they were going to do to make it right. What kind of warranty do they have on their work? You may catch more flies with honey than vinegar here, but hopefully, they recognize that their reputation is on the line. If not, you might want to decide in the future to help them own their crap reputation by posting your story on every Subaru forum you can find (names included). Again, you wield more power with calm honesty and truth than with anger and vitriol, but this result is unacceptable by any standard.

As far as your technical aspects, you have a bit different situation than the blown turbo folks, but you are essentially looking at an engine rebuild, so you should go check out the Tris's engine rebuild list (www.ynansb.com). That will give you a good idea of what needs done. I don't know if your bearings are damaged or not, but that might be something to consider. Were the cams scored when the valves essentially got caught between the cam and the piston? You may need to have your heads rebuilt by a machine shop. Honestly, you won't really know til it's torn down. Be forewarned, this is not an easy or cheap fix. Good luck!

Thanks for the info and the link! I know it's not gonna be a cheap fix, and I've already spent around $9,600 on repairs in just shy of 2 years of ownership. And I did talk with the service rep at Keim, who isn't exactly the smartest person. He asked me why I didn't bring the car back to them. I simply responded with because every time I bring it here, I get it back in worse shape than it was when I brought it here the first time. Why would I continue to bring my car here if that's the case, especially after such a catastrophic failure?

The worst part is I still owe just under $11,000 on the car yet. Frustrating? You bet! Figure in a wife, kids, and the usual monthly bills, and that would be why I'm broke right now.

Anyway, enough about my rambling on. I'll check out the link posted and see what would be the better route to go. Rebuild or replace the engine all together.

The reason to bring it back is because they are going to fix it on their dime. Are they going to fix it on their dime? They should. Even if you could get them to agree that you'll pay for parts and they charge you no labor, it would be worth it to let them try. Again, you can intimate that their reputation is on the line and they really really need to get it right this time (try not make it sound like a threat, people don't respond well to threats). The question is would you rather pay these idiots 2 grand in parts to try or would rather pay 6 grand to somebody new. I admit it's a tough choice. If they aren't giving you at least free labor if not more, then it's probably not worth the risk. Whatever you decide, fight or not (and trust me I get the desire to not fight it out), good luck to ya!

Let me be a bit more clear, I currently have $30 to my name right now. Bankruptcy sounds like a great option right about now, thanks to this car. I cannot afford to spend anything. I've also got another car I'm trying to deal with that got side swiped a little over 2 weeks ago, and still have to pay my deductible. And it needs inspected, but before that, it has a CEL with 2 codes. I'm currently at my insurance company getting ready to drop the insurance on the Subaru.

No worries. You're having a really shitty time of it right now. You're allowed to be a little frustrated. I feel for you. I don't mean to imply that you're doing all the wrong things. I'm sure you're doing everything you can to deal with the situation. You totally got screwed by this shop (and your Subaru with that other $9600). You are not the first and you are not the last to have major car problems and major shop problems that lead to major financial problems, but it sucks when it happens to you. You could always try suing the shop, but that is really a path fraught with risk with very little expectation of reward. It's probably not worth that headache.

Hell, if it was paid off, you should totally sell it or donate it or whatever and just cut your losses. However, I agree that it's really tough to just give up on a car that you still owe payments on (and more than a few). You could try selling it, but you'll take a huge loss. I don't think anyone will give you more than about 2 or 3 grand for it in current condition, if that. In this situation, you probably can't get out from under the lien in order to sell it though. I think you might be right. The best (shitty) answer may be to park it until you can deal with it.

And by the way, I totally don't mean to try to speak with any authority at all on your life and your problems. Hopefully, I can just give you a little support (technical or even just emotional). We all gotta try to get through life as best we can. One aspect of life is just a long series of problems that ya gotta deal with. You'll make it through this too. Not painlessly or easily, but you will get through it. I've been very lucky with my turbocharged Subaru (so far) in that it seems to be still running strong, but there are plenty of people out there that have not been nearly as lucky and you are now one of them. Sorry about that. You'll find your way forward though. Good luck!

Thanks for being understanding. I have contacted a few places in regards to legal action but as you said, I wouldn't be surprised if I get no where with that. And yes, the car is currently parked, but in regards to the comment I made earlier about removing the insurance, apparently that would put me in a worse situation. I didn't have much time to speak with my insurance rep, but maybe there could be something they can do to save me a bit of cash. I'll be going back out there tomorrow.

I had a mechanic interested in buying my car, until I told them I still owe money on it. So yea, lucky me, I'm upside down in this piece of junk. Sad part is, I've always have been lead to believe Subaru's were good reliable cars. But on a different side, everyone I have talked to about the dealership I purchased the car from has told me the same story. Different kinds of cars and such, anything from a Dodge Neon, to a Ford Mustang GT. junk junk junk, that's all they sell.

Oh well. Here's to trying to stay positive. Thanks again for all of the input and being understanding.

Archived