LegacyGT.com

how much to rebuild?

rayeve

My wife has a 2005 Legacy wagon, non-turbo. It has 150,000 miles on it on the original shocks. Sounds outrageous, but there is no uneven tire wear or noticeably increased "jounce." But lately impacts seem "sharper" and road noise has increased. So ... I'm thinking of rebuilding the 4 corners of the car. But, here's my main question:

Can I get away with just replacing the strut cartridges, or do I need for sure to replace the metal seats and rubber at each of the 4 corner assemblies, or would most people just change out the cartridges at this mileage with no other noticeable symptoms to worry about, or should I do the whole rebuild of each corner? Thanks.

At 150k miles I would definitly change out the shocks, they are toast. Mine were toast at 115k miles. Your 2 best options are, KYB's OEM replacements or upgrade to Koni sport shocks.

Other things to check:

-Lower control arm bushings

-ball joints

-swaybar links/bushings

My wife's balls are delicious.

My wife has a 2005 Legacy wagon, non-turbo. It has 150,000 miles on it on the original shocks. Sounds outrageous, but there is no uneven tire wear or noticeably increased "jounce." But lately impacts seem "sharper" and road noise has increased. So ... I'm thinking of rebuilding the 4 corners of the car. But, here's my main question:

Can I get away with just replacing the strut cartridges, or do I need for sure to replace the metal seats and rubber at each of the 4 corner assemblies, or would most people just change out the cartridges at this mileage with no other noticeable symptoms to worry about, or should I do the whole rebuild of each corner? Thanks.

the car uses coil-over-shock struts, so you would not just change the cartridges. you buy replacement struts that have the lower spring perch built in and you swap over everything else from your old assemblies. the only scenario where this is not the case is if you were to buy konis. the rear would be as i described, but the fronts strut assemblies would need to be cut and gutted to put in the koni inserts. Seein as this is your wife's car, you are best buying KYB replacement struts as F1 said above.

Also check the things F1 said. all of those parts will probably be showing their age at this point and will need to be replaced.

This is a topic of interest to me as well - as I plan a complete Suspension overhaul to tighten the car back up. So.... I wonder if we can compile a complete list of items that would be recommended as a whole for replacement (ie 150K Suspension List)

PS - Don't shoot me if I have invalid or missing parts - just trying to get a "Good List" together. Also if I'm too for off my rocker just stop me....

Obvious/Mentioned:

- Struts (Konis = extra work vs. direct replacement in front)

- Lower Control Arm Bushings (Front vs. Rear? Both?)

- Ball Joints

- Swaybar Links/Bushings

Is there any other Recommended must change parts: Upper Control Arm Bushings for instance? (Front vs. Rear?) What about the actual Sway Bars - optional at this point, but highly recommended vs. who cares? Are Springs (even stock replacements vs. lowering) a good idea here?

There are a slew of White Line options for bushings - are those preferred vs. OEM - only autocross vs. DD? When might those be a good option? What are the recommended vs. optional ones?

What about Wheel Bearings? - I know not technically suspension - but might be causing some slop?

How about alignment and wheel balance - good idea as well?

Again - I'm really trying to put together an easy list that we can maybe sticky to make it simple to just check off... If I can get it all together I don't mind putting it all into an Excel Sheet for Sticky!:wub:

Archived