LegacyGT.com

My 2012 3.6R Ltd Build

dookie

So I've had this a little over a year now. Previous owner supplied the wheels, and I've made a few minor improvements (cargo nets & seat-back protectors, Gorilla flaps & wheel arches, EG Classics black mesh grille, 19mm STI rear sway & 2014 OB 26mm front, debadged)...but after much reading & research, the serious fun is about to begin! The goal is a total sleeper...pleasant DD, potent road warrior, and capable adventure wagon.

This summer, we've got big (expensive!) plans...

-Full IHE...Takeda, Raptor, Invidia Q300

-AMR tune

-Suspension...lift, springs, dampers

-Torklift Stealth hitch & Hitchgate spare carrier

-235/65-17 Cooper AT3s (possibly with wheel spacers, possibly new wheels...anyone want a set of 5 Sparco Assetto Garas in matte grey, 17x7.5 +48 ?)

-Morimoto XB LED fogs

The Q300 is in hand, intake imminent, headers/tune as soon as Raptor can supply the pipes (a month?), suspension & tires as soon as the highway crap on it burns off (but definitely before the fall Outer Banks fishing season!)

More as it develops...

10918910_721058314681093_1552116051368687245_o.thumb.jpg.4fcfe4ea20db136a74f4bc321ed14e98.jpg

• 1 month later...

An update to say "no update"...

Raptor has gone radio silent re: header ETA. Last response was around the time I originally posted...best guess then was around Memorial Day. Currently, inquiries by both myself and AMR are unanswered. Too busy with their compressors, or something...

I did pick up the intake. Without downstream work and a tune, it's nothing but noise. I do like the flat-six WOT inhale though!

Guess I'll be spending the tax return on suspension first then. Just got back from the OBX, and a lift would have helped a couple times.

[coincidentally perhaps, I heard from Raptor today...latest estimate is shipping from AU late June, and that fitment to the Outback is a non-issue despite the recent classified sale.]

How hard do you plan on driving it with headers and tune?

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

Solo 1? No, the Miata is for that...

What do you mean "how hard?" It will never see a track, but sees WOT nearly every day. It runs hard in deep, soft sand several days a month. It sees steep fire roads at modest altitude a few times a year. 90%+ of its time is 10% throttle pavement cruise. Does that help?

I may have concerns. I don't have enough information at this point in time to say anything. I will post when appropriate.

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

• 3 weeks later...
[...latest estimate is shipping from AU late June, and that fitment to the Outback is a non-issue despite the recent classified sale.]

Aaaaaand...true. Raptor just confirmed headers in hand, payment sent, couple weeks to here from down under?

Regarding the classified post (claiming they won't fit the Outback): it would appear that the OEM manifold (assembly) part numbers are identical for all 2010-2014 3.6 vehicles (Legacy, Outback, Tribeca). Specifically, 44620AC22A right, 44620AC23A left. So if they fit the Legacy, how could they not fit the Outback? Strange.

Dookie...two words as warning and for you to do something pre-emptive if you plan on running it hard.

Oil starvation

A sump and or baffled oil pan is a good idea. An oil cooler helps by adding some capacity but I dont know if it has any effect at all in getting oil where it needs to be.

You can have a custom made oil pan. I was contemplating this route shortly before I got my wrx.

• 3 weeks later...

Headers arrived a week or so ago and I just got to a test fit. I removed the short section of OEM y-pipe and bolted one side in. I can confirm a very tight fit on my OB...*maybe* 2mm clearance from the subframe. There are a pair of 3mm spacers included and *both* were installed in the picture, but no gasket.

Heat and vibration are both of concern. I'm going to ping Raptor regarding more or thicker spacers, as there is plenty of stud length. (edit...Raptor is going to provide 12mm spacers)

Legacy owners, are yours this tight?

0715151042.thumb.jpg.fbc9ce7b724a2df4c0adfb0288173c90.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

From what I understand the outback subframe hangs lower then the legacy making clearance issues much tighter. We aren't that tight but with my 2011 legacy the thicker sway bar I added requires the spacers.

Sounds like raptor found a solution to the outback, I'm glad to hear that as our wagon breathern deserve this power increase.

As for heat, I recommend high flow cats. According to a few reports the extra power will roast the stock cats fairly quickly. The stainless steel build holds the heat quite well. I would ask Perscitus for more details as he's had the headers MUCH longer

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Finally getting moving here...

Method MR501s with 235/65 AT3s inbound. If you need tires or wheels, Discount Tire has some excellent rebates for the next few days...I combined 3 different ones for $245 back ($100 from DTD on a set of 4 wheels, $75 from DTD on a set of 4 tires, and $70 from Cooper on a set of AT3s).

Bigger header spacers are here & test fit. Much better. Appt w/fabricator in a week or so to install headers & cat-back and build mid-pipe. Should I cut the bumper cover & keep the Q300 straight-exit mufflers, or cut off the ridiculous 4" rolled tail-pipe & replace with down-turn?

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
With his Raptors n tune...300/340+ is quite easy

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Say wha? how does the 5eat like that power? I know there were concerns with the 07-09 XTs running power beyond a Stg2 setup.

This might sway me into a different route than getting an XT

Say wha? how does the 5eat like that power? I know there were concerns with the 07-09 XTs running power beyond a Stg2 setup.

This might sway me into a different route than getting an XT

The 5EAT was originally mated to an infiniti M45 which put 333/340 stock so you're still a little under that.

My current setup is Raptors + race cats + custom 2.5" midpipe + resonator, with 93AKI E10 sunoco my power peaks around 320/370 on an XRT tune (west_minist on the board) That's crank, not wheel. To achieve 300 wheel I have to boost.

If you look at the 3.6R mod list, perscitus has a dyno from an older tuner, the raptors peak torque around 1500-2000 rpm so they are great for daily driving while HP still peaks need the very top of the rev limit. Makes for a very smooth power band.

Stage 2+ XT can put significantly more then 300/340 but in terms of DD, how much power do you really want? In 99% of situations I'll tell you it's more then enough

The 5EAT was originally mated to an infiniti M45 which put 333/340 stock so you're still a little under that.

My current setup is Raptors + race cats + custom 2.5" midpipe + resonator, with 93AKI E10 sunoco my power peaks around 320/370 on an XRT tune (west_minist on the board) That's crank, not wheel. To achieve 300 wheel I have to boost.

If you look at the 3.6R mod list, perscitus has a dyno from an older tuner, the raptors peak torque around 1500-2000 rpm so they are great for daily driving while HP still peaks need the very top of the rev limit. Makes for a very smooth power band.

Stage 2+ XT can put significantly more then 300/340 but in terms of DD, how much power do you really want? In 99% of situations I'll tell you it's more then enough

Jerk..

Really good info, but your still a jerk because now I can't decide which route to take.

Jerk..

Really good info, but your still a jerk because now I can't decide which route to take.

Yeah sorry not sorry lol. The 3.6R motor is far more durable then the 2.5EJ, at least in terms of the lack of issues ( no head gaskets problems, no timing belt) but unlike the XT, the performance mods are a bit lacking.

The blocks not truly built for boost even though the 3.6R is a Porsche block, it just doesn't have the internals that engine does. You can build it. Italian legacy has a stock block with a supercharger that's got 300 or so wheel n the 5EAT is ok.

On outbackxt there is a guy traildgck (i might have misspelled) got a built XT with a 5EAT, if you want a comparison you can ask him about his build, it's quite impressive.

I'll try to sum it up...if you want significantly better performance without reliability questions ( and your not great at working on ur own car) go 3.6R, but if you want the biggest room to improve, go OBXT

Thanks. I'm not going huge power either way. It's really going to come down to if I find a 5speed or settle on the 5eat. If I settle for auto. It will definitely be a 3,6

XRT, makes the auto far better then the stock one. If you go that route, you will be happy

Archived