LegacyGT.com

$15k to spend: Go big or buy a 335i?

My BRZ was totaled last December (rear ended by a guy who had a seizure and passed out). After a lot of pestering from the SO to buy a practical car, I bought a spec.B and have $15k left over. I've been really happy with the spec.B, but it feels slow. Got an AP, Cobb Stage 1 93 map and it's a bit better, but now I want more. Something about the car being practical and reasonable has made me unhappy...weird?

After looking into the 335i (N54 engine) with a JB4, that thing looks like a monster. Seems like even if I dump $15k into the spec.B I still wouldn't be able to catch up to one of those. And when it comes to reselling it (if I ever do), I'm sure as hell not getting a dime of that back. Maybe I should just make the spec.B the winter car?

I'm still exploring, so advice, options, thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

What do you mean by fast? Unless your BRZ was modded and turboed it shouldn't be any faster than a LGT. Atleast not in acceleration. Probably more fun to drive but faster... eh. As for a 335i, if you can't keep up with one with 15k into a spec b then you didn't spend the money right. Even with bolt ons and a tune the 335 is only putting down 330-350ish to the wheels. You could spend way less than 15k and have a LGT to 330-350whp.

My suggestion with 15k to spend... buy a second car. Depending on what type of driving you like to do you can buy a car that is good for that purpose.

What do you mean by fast? Unless your BRZ was modded and turboed it shouldn't be any faster than a LGT. Atleast not in acceleration. Probably more fun to drive but faster... eh. As for a 335i, if you can't keep up with one with 15k into a spec b then you didn't spend the money right. Even with bolt ons and a tune the 335 is only putting down 330-350ish to the wheels. You could spend way less than 15k and have a LGT to 330-350whp.

My suggestion with 15k to spend... buy a second car. Depending on what type of driving you like to do you can buy a car that is good for that purpose.

It wasn't faster, definitely not, but it felt quicker (probably suspension). I want something that puts you back in your seat, but doesn't have the cheap plasticky feeling of muscle cars and can at least handle a bit. I had the option of buying the new WRX to replace the BRZ, but compared to the spec.B, the new WRX feels a bit bloated and falls flat on it's face near the top end.

If you want something that puts you back in your seat nothing will beat a muscle car bang for buck. And some of the more modern ones can handle well even without IRS. Plus they are cheaper and easier to work on than euro cars.

What about motorcycle... they feel fast lol.

Archived