LegacyGT.com

ac compressor style?

im doing a conversion on my AC system and discovered (after replacing the gaskets, dryer filter..) that the compressor is seized. will need a new one.

im looking on amazon for a reman and found one that will suit my needs, but i had a q about the compressor itself. there are 2 types that amazon lists as compatible.

first one: Notes: w/ V5-15G Compressor, Reman w/ Clutch

second one: Notes: w/ DCW17 Compressor, Reman w/ Clutch

both are listed as compatible with my subaru (legacy L wagon). my scooby isnt here right now (wife has her, shes at work) so i cant look on the compressor itself. when i was looking at it though, i didnt see anything besides what the high/low side pressure should be (though it IS a dirty plate). is there some way i can know for sure? maybe by VIN?

i checked autozone and advance auto parts, both list the same styles as being compatible with my car. which one do i actually need?

I did an AC compressor swap not too long ago.

Here is a thread I started on bbs:http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=53534

And a thread on here that I chimed in on: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/ac-compressor-swap-228797.html

Here is some of the info from the thread above:"I think any of the following compressors should work: 73011 AA091, 73011 AA710, 73011 AA031, & 73011 AA090."

I don't see why it wouldn't work as long as you swap the lines that connect to the compressor as well but you can also ask/search over on bbslegacycentral to make sure.

The wiring shouldn't be an issue since only the Yellow wire with the green stripe is used on either connector from what I have gathered. The brown/ red is not used and the red/ yellow is not used.

There were two types of AC systems on 1st gen Legacies. Calsonic & Diesel Kiki. Which do you have? Compressors from the same manufacturer should be interchangeable, which is why I provided the list of the Calsonic compressors in my above post. But A Calsonic and a Diesel Kiki will not be interchangeable. The older Calsonic compressors are no longer available new so if you ordered one from Subaru they would provide new lines with the compressor since the fittings are not the same which also leads me to believe that as long as you swap lines with compressors you shouldn't have an issue."

Make sure you replace the drier receiver as well or you can ruin your next compressor.

Helpful thread:

Converting r12 to r134a - http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1083 "

I thought about getting a reman but sometimes they can fail after a year or so if you are unlucky and I didn't feel like doing the same job twice. I lucked out and found a new in the box Calsonic on ebay for $160 as opposed to the $760 you would have to pay for a new one at the dealer.

dryer filter already replaced, as well as every gasket on the lines.

also, ive already searched those threads and neither has any info relating to the question i asked. thanks though :\ :\

no relevant into on bbs either, already posted there, no response yet.

Well, I guess you can check if your compressor is a Calsonic of Diesel Kiki when your wife gets home.

The V5-15G Compressor, Reman w/ Clutch appears to be a reman Calsonic but you can't really see what the other one is from the pic on Amazon.

Maybe just buy it from somewhere that will let you return it if it doesn't fit? I think the Calsonic and Diesel kiki had different oil capacities as well. It will say on the compressor how much oil it uses so that will be another clue.

Archived