LegacyGT.com

1993 EJ22 starts then wants to die??

Hey all.

I have been lurking on this forum for a long time, and finally decided to join. So much good info on here, and so much great advice. An awesome community!

Anyway, here's the skinny on my issue.

I have a '93 EJ22 in a 1984 VW Vanagon (I did not do the swap). This engine is super hearty, IMO. I have taken my van all over the USA several times, with only slight issues. It's a workhorse, no doubt. But there is one thing that I cannot wrap my head around, and has been plaguing me for a long time.

CEL light shows code 31, the TPS. I replaced that. Cleared the codes by the book (connecting the green and black wires, accelerator to the floor, then half throttle, etc.). The codes didn't clear, so I went the ECU reset route via disconnecting the battery. Code is still there.

On performance, the van starts up, idles at 2000 rpm for 2-3 seconds, then idles low and rough, as if it wants to die, for about as long, before coming up to a decent idle at ~1k, 1,200 rpm. If you press the accelerator down when the engine is in this "limping" phase, there is no response, and then, a few seconds later, will "catch." If you go to drive it in the first minute or two after first starting in the morning, it kind of jerks along.

No real power issues once engine is warmed. Cruising down the highway, in traffic, stop-and-go, all is cool once the engine is up to temp.

So, have I done something wrong? Did I not adjust the TPS accordingly? Newer plugs, wires, clean air filter, MAF cleaned recently, newer fuel pump and filter, recently cleaned throttle body and PCV and IAF valves.

I'm at a loss. Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated. Y'all know much more about these awesome engines than I do.

Thanks, all

Chris

Archived