LegacyGT.com

How many of the GTs are being built?

While it is great to have a car widely accepted in the automotive community, there's something special about driving a car that will not be as widely available as a Camary or Accord. I read somewhere that Subaru only sold 20k units last year (could be the year before) in the US. Just wondering if production runs will be kept low on these cars. Nothing bummed me out more than seeing 10 G35s in my building's parking lot, within a 6 month period right after I bought mine.

I don't know about elsewhere, but the dealer where I bought my wrx told me that most people in my area are practical and just buy the base model--he said they'd only sold 3 GT's in the last year of the old model. Don't know if that'll change with the new one. But for your average person I'm sure the 168 hp version is more than adequate.

[quote name='momo']While it is great to have a car widely accepted in the automotive community, there's something special about driving a car that will not be as widely available as a Camary or Accord. I read somewhere that Subaru only sold 20k units last year (could be the year before) in the US. Just wondering if production runs will be kept low on these cars. Nothing bummed me out more than seeing 10 G35s in my building's parking lot, within a 6 month period right after I bought mine.[/quote] Buy a Ferrari or Lamborghini or Bentley, then you won't see as often. I like my car to be everywhere, that means it attracts all kinds of people. Then usually this kind of popular cars the company would continue to make after generations and generations.

I've seen two new Legacys so far. Both were 2.5i wagons. The 2.5L still got tons of sales in the previous gen. People didn't buy the Legacy for speed, but rather for utility and practicality. Hardly ever saw any 3.0 previous gen Legacys. The 2.5GT version will help capture some more of the upper market, but I think the 2.5i is still going to be the bulk of sales. On Accords, something like 90%+ of sales are the 4-cyl, not the V6. Ditto Camry. Ditto Altima.

I was kinda curious about their production numbers myself so I emailed Subaru. Here's their response: [quote]Thank you for visiting the Subaru Web site and for your interest in Subaru! We appreciate you taking the time to contact us. Unfortunately, this information is not available to us at this time. Sales and production figures are released after production is completed for the model year, therefore this information will not be available to us until the Summer of 2005. Please feel to contact us again at that time. Thanks for the opportunity to be of service. Best Wishes, Natalie Cox Subaru of America, Inc. Customer Dealer Services[/quote] But as for myself, the only Subarus I see around here are WRX"s and the occasional STI or Outback. Have yet to even see a late model Legacy.

[quote name='scubie02']I don't know about elsewhere, but the dealer where I bought my wrx told me that most people in my area are practical and just buy the base model--he said they'd only sold 3 GT's in the last year of the old model.[/quote] Most likely because the last generation GT was nothing more than a handling and appearance package; no increased HP. Also, the Special Edition was far cheaper for a similar vehicle.

Montreal is a great Subaru market yet I've only seen my own legacy, 2 outbacks (2.5i) and 1 legacy sedan 2.5i. Oh..and I think I saw nicd's beautiful black GT Legacy wagon!! I don't think there are many cars to sell yet. Come winter, dealers will be flooded with the new Legacy.

2005 Legacy GT Wagon Ltd 5EAT Garnet Red :cool:

1999 GTI VR6 Black - sold but not forgotten... :(

You can count on seeing at least 2 more LegGT's in the Montreal area in the next couple of weeks! I ordered mine (RBP sedan) 2 days ago and got lucky that one just like I wanted was just off a train that got into town. I should get it early next week. My friend who had ordered maybe more than 3 months ago will be receiving his in a week or two...

[quote name='momo']While it is great to have a car widely accepted in the automotive community, there's something special about driving a car that will not be as widely available as a Camary or Accord. I read somewhere that Subaru only sold 20k units last year (could be the year before) in the US. Just wondering if production runs will be kept low on these cars. Nothing bummed me out more than seeing 10 G35s in my building's parking lot, within a 6 month period right after I bought mine.[/quote] Well, working in the marketing/sales department of an SIA supplier, I can give you a little insight here :) Originally, Subaru told us to figure 400 Turbos per month (both Outback XT and Leagcy GT sedans!). After initial startup of the base models in March and April, they changed their build mix of the Turbo models, and really put us in a bind. For the months of May and June, they were building about 1,200 -1,500 Turbo's PER WEEK -- Basically, about 2/3 of their production! So believe me, the turbos are out there! We supply the complete Power Steering pressure and return hoses for all Legacy and Baja models. Here are the production numbers since startup of the 21Z ('05 platform) models (includes Outback and Legacys): July - 4,063 through 7/24 June - 8.331 May - 8,415 April - 7,815 March - 3,596 (ramp up) February 28 week was the last week that the 2004 63P model Legacy was manufactured. Normally, they build about 340-400 per day. I made a trip to SIA (Subaru-Indiana Automotive) in LaFayette, IN in June, and simply fell in love with the Silver GT Limited and the Pearl Red Outback that they had in their lobby. I came back to Lexington, KY to Oldham's Subaru (potential buyers should check their stock - they have the best selection of GTs and XT Outbacks in the Cincinnati/Louisville, and Lexington area) and fell in love with the Garnet Red Pearl GT Limited sedan w/sport shift. It was very fresh, built early June, so I bought it -- actually traded in my SAAB 9-5 SE for it :) Let me tell you, Subaru, at last, has at last made a world class Sports Sedan! Hope this clears up a little. If anyone wants to know the EXACT turbo production numbers, I can look it up and post here, by month Rob Catron Frankfort, KY

Archived