LegacyGT.com

Trans manual mode shift issue

Korrupt3d

I posted this in the regular 4th gen forums as well, but only gained views.

I know I don't have a 5EAT, 5MT, or 6MT as this section says, but maybe someone else has had this issue with their 5EAT before and can help.

Story:

2009 2.5i 4EAT. When in manual mode, the transmission will shift on its own like it was in D instead. Sometimes it will shift even faster to its last gear than it would in D. I've done a battery reset and checked the fluid. Since my other post, it now has started shifting out of first gear as well and also feels like the problem is spreading to the automatic D gear as well.

Questions:

Does this sound like anything anyone has encountered before?

Am I right to assume it is the Trans control module/unit?

If it is the TCU/TCM, can I simply purchase another one from any other 4th gen 4EAT trans and swap it?

If I cannot swap, what do I need to do to from here? (Dealership, I assume)

If this may end up being too pricey, I may entertain offers of 5EAT for sale and everything else I'd need to perform that transplant.

Thank you for your time.

The car is programmed to downshift automatically. My car only acts up shifting in manual transmission mode in second gear occasionally. It will barely be in second gear before it shifts to third gear. If you haven't changed transmission fluid and filter you could try that, otherwise I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you really needed to shift the car you should have bought a manual transmission model, (not that they aren't made of glass). Fixing this issue would really end up too pricey unless there is just some easy reprogramming of the PCM that can be done.

Archived