LegacyGT.com

CEL + Cruise light, P0028, caused by oil spill?

A few weeks ago I got a very messy oil change, with a bunch of oil spilled on the left side of the engine (under the oil fill cap). Today, my CEL came on with Cruise indicator light flashing, the code was P0028 (Intake Valve Control Solenoid Circuit Range/Performance Bank 2). There is a white wiring connector on the front/top area of the left cylinder bank, and when I disconnected it there was a bunch of oil inside which I cleaned out as best I could.

Car is a 2007 2.5i manual with 83,000 miles. New clutch (noisy throw out bearing) installed at same time as oil change, never had any other problems with the car.

Some questions:

1. Could oil inside this connector be causing the P0028 code? I think the connector is related to the intake valve solenoid, but I don't know if getting oil on it could cause this problem.

2. If answer above is yes, will cleaning it out fix the problem or has damage likely been done?

3. Is there some kind of spray cleaner that would be safe to use inside this connector to clean it out better than paper towels and Q-tips?

Thanks!

3. Is there some kind of spray cleaner that would be safe to use inside this connector to clean it out better than paper towels and Q-tips?

Thanks!

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/CRC-05103-Quick-Electronic-Cleaner/dp/B000BXOGNI]Amazon.com: CRC 05103 Quick Dry Electronic Cleaner - 11 Wt Oz.: Automotive[/ame]

Or

http://www.lowes.com/pd_172753-12704-40-610_0__?productId=3127949

Can't tell if that'll fix your problem but you should def clean the oil out and clean the connection with some sort of electronic contact cleaner.

Called the shop today that did the clutch and oil change. The mechanic said "oh yeah, I think I forgot to mention, I think your head gasket is leaking and dripping oil on the exhaust." He agreed that this wouldn't explain the oil in the electrical connector (on top of engine) and I'm going to take it in next week for him to take a look at it. But...

How the heck could a head gasket cause an external oil leak? Or did he mean valve cover gasket? Geez, I hope that's what he meant!

No, I called back and he did mean head gasket. I guess on these cars the head gasket commonly causes an oil leak to the outside.

But I'm pretty sure what I actually have is a leaking intake valve timing oil pressure sensor, as in this case:

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/109-gen-3-2005-2009/29119-my-2007-outback-leaking-burning-oil.html

• 2 weeks later...
That CEL is for the oil pressure solenoid that needs to be replaced. It's that connector you mentioned.. mine bled and spilled oil all over the engine (under pressure) and it needed to be changed out. Only a few bucks but you need special plumber's tape to thread it directly into the engine, or else you can crack your head. Independent shop will charge you <$100 all in to replace it.

That CEL is for the oil pressure solenoid that needs to be replaced. It's that connector you mentioned.. mine bled and spilled oil all over the engine (under pressure) and it needed to be changed out. Only a few bucks but you need special plumber's tape to thread it directly into the engine, or else you can crack your head. Independent shop will charge you <$100 all in to replace it.

The connector in question, and the thing that threads directly into the head, is the oil pressure switch/sensor, not the solenoid. The solenoid is right next to it.

And the plumber's tape (or thread sealant pre the service manual) is not to prevent the head from cracking, it's to ensure a good seal. If you tighten it to the correct torque (12 ft. lbs.) I think it would be no more likely to crack the head without the tape, it would just be more likely to leak without the tape.

Given how many stories of cracked heads I've seen, and that I don't know if thousands of head cycles makes the head easier to crack, and that I don't have a torque wrench that I trust at 12 ft. lbs., I decided to pay the dealer $200 to replace both of my sensors. That way if I have a cracked head it's not my problem.

I should have been more specific, in my case it was the solenoid. And you're right, the tape is for sealing purposes. The part in question has no way of being torqued and has to be done by feel, so I too opted to have mine done by a pro given how awful I am with over tightening even oil filters. That's why I torque even my lug nuts! Glad that got taken care of.

Archived