LegacyGT.com

Transmission Fix suggestion

AZZMAN

Tomorrow we get the transmission off the car. I'm looking for any suggestions / experience on what might be the problem to determine if there might be a kit fix that we can do ourselves or if I should send the trans off to a shop to get fixed...

The car shifts fine from first to fourth and back down, reverse works too but the 5th gear is "gone". What I mean by that is the shifter goes loose as you move from 4th to 5th, there is zero feel or resistance. Every now and then when shifting in the lower gears it feels like the shifter gets snagged on a stray piece of something as you move the shifter. I "broke" 5th gear on the interstate shifting from fourth to 5th at about 80MPH in full acceleration. I let the clutch out too quick right before I got into 5th gear with a bang.

I'll post some pictures of the open transmission after tomorrow. Any speculation or thoughts are appreciated. Peace.

It sounds like you already know what the problem is - fifth gear has grenaded on you. You could also have bearing damage from the bit floating around in the oil, or even damage to other gear sets given your reports of feeling like things are getting "stuck" in gears 1-4.

You are at least looking at needed to replace fifth gear, possible the bearings as well. I'm not sure what sort of gear kits you can buy or if you can even buy a single gear to be honest. You might be better off finding a used transmission at this point depending on the severity of the damage you find.

Good luck.

Thanks ras... We are having hard time getting the transmission to separate and were unsure how to support the engine. I think we will use a 2x4's across the top of the strut housing and chain it there... I'm wondering if there is one more bolt we are overlooking... The plan is to open it up and see what's going on then if we are in over our head there is a transmission shop up the street that does re-builds.

Archived