LegacyGT.com

Turbo reliability...

Hi Guys,

Finally have a chance and time to post here. Bought the last available white 5 spd LGT wagon in the bayarea on june 2. Loving it from the first date. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was reading the Audizine( I am an audi salesperson), lot of people got blown turbo on their car.

Are there any people have experience problem with their turbo in our LGT??

Having the car for 3 months I am already at 11000 mi. I think I am getting the extend warranty before the warranty end. Any thought??

Thanks for all reply and input. Good days!

Gary

I have never heard of any turbo problems with Subaru - ever. In fact they are renowned for their reliability (at least the JDM versions). I had a RS turbo Legacy in the 90's that did 125,000 solid miles (worked hard) and it never missed a beat. Sleep well, you have little to worry about!:D

With any car you have a chance of getting a perfect car, and a chance of getting a really bad one. But everyone currently only reports averages. It's going to take an especially large sample size, at least 100 per model year per car, and possibly 200, but for models where I have a large enough sample I will be reporting these odds as well as averages.

That's funny, because I was a regular on that board back when it was A4.org, from 1997 until 2000 or so. The A4 was fairly new then, and most people on the board claimed that Audis were just as reliable as Toyotas and Hondas.

I was on there too and I don't think anyone was claiming an A4 was as reliable as a Camry, just that they were a big improvement in reliability over Audis and VW's from previous years. To be fair, Consumer Reports gave the A4 an "average" for a couple of years and recommended the car.

Having been an Audi owner (and still own a '99 Passat V6) I can say that Audi is tragedy. Their cars are very well designed both in terms of features (big and small) and feel. It's a huge shame that their as unreliable as they are. The other part that's a shame is an Audi will be around long after many other brands have rusted away. Audi unit bodies are as solid as it gets. Of course, keeping an Audi running that long requires a huge budget for replacement parts.

Maybe things have changed or maybe I just got lucky, but my 1994 Audi S4 was just as reliable as any of the Japanese cars that I've owned, meaning that I had zero proplems with it during the 4 years that I owned it.

I love German cars, but I know, generally speaking, they don't have the same reliability as most Japanese cars do. And when they do require repairs, it usually costs much more to fix.

So, since I'm not rolling in money, I'm sticking with Subarus. They're a safer bet, cost less, and are pretty darn fun to drive too.

The 20V I5 was an incredibly strong engine. Audi does have a reliable model here and there (the previous gen A6 V8 was supposed to be quite good) but on average, Audi's are pretty bad.

Surprisingly, new Porsches are actually very reliable. God help you if you have to pay for a fix though.

Surprisingly, new Porsches are actually very reliable. God help you if you have to pay for a fix though.

The funny thing about that it I've seen late-model Porsches broken down on the side of the road twice in the last two weeks.

I just remember on A4.org in the early days people were very defensive of the A4's reliability. They would often bring up a story about a neighbor's or in-law's Camry or Accord that had nothing but problems.

Yeah, I remember some of those exchanges. Unfortunately, Audiworld has become a haven for idiots.

As for Porsches, when the first 996's came out with the water cooled engine, they had some big problems. They currently get very good reliability ratings and their customer service is excellent. If the car needs a warranty fix, they do it right instead of nickle and diming you. They're still German cars though with much of what that entails.

I'm hoping to buy a used 911 in the next couple of years. I'll probably get an '86 to '88 Targa. The LGT will definitely be kept as a daily driver though.

Archived