LegacyGT.com

4eat to 5mt question

And thats all that you swapped? Didnt mess with the ECU at all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The ecu should match the engine and related compenents. Keep your stock one. All you have to do is ground one ecu pin and it knows it is a manual. What you DO have to do is either a whole lot of wiring mess keeping the tcm, or delete the tcm and splice the manual harness with the engine harness to make a harness that both matches your engine and tranny. I chose the easy route and im still paying for it with random tranny codes and no cruise control. However it IS possible to keep the automatic tcm, have cruise control, and be completely code free.

Another thing youll hate yourself for if you chose the "keep the tcm" method is that there is no place on the manual pedal assembly to mount the tcm. I have it zip tied to my fuse box so i used to kick it every time i tried to put my foot on the dead pedal. Minor inconvenience, but it will constantly remind you that your car is not factory spec anymore.

ecu isnt the issue, it just needs to know which trans is attached to it. you shouldnt even have to change the ecu out. the wiring is the issue for most all swaps as far as i know, and the 95 is vastly different from 94 and 96, making it a pain to swap to. from what ive read, its because the wiring is different between them for the trans type, and what works on 96-99 doesnt work on 95 models. so, a 99 into a 98 wouldnt be that difficult, given the wiring change is documented and proven. no one knows what wire to ground out or change for the 95, making it a perpetual code error

As for wiring, there are 4 wires coming from the manual tranny. Reverse switch and neutral saftey switch. Thats the easiest part of this is putting the tranny in and hooking those components up. The real craptacular part is the automatic harness. It doesnt matter really what tranny you put into it. What counts is what you put it into.

Archived