LegacyGT.com

1990 legacy. please help

OK to start from the beginning. Monday my husband took the car to work. When he got there get turned the key back and it didn't shut off so he disconnected the battery and then had to disconnect the alternator to get it to turn off. To get home he had to reconnect everything but this time when he cranked the car the ignition switch had to be turned to the off position because when it was in the on position it made the sound a car would make if trying to turn the car on when it was already on. Our battery and alternator are both less than two months old. I ordered and replaced the electrical part of the ignition switch. Then the car wouldn't even crank. I have not ordered and about to replace the actual key part to the ignition switch. So now I need to know why won't my car start? And another thing. The ding they make to let you know you left the door open or the key in the ignition, when I get in the car and close my door, put the key in the ignition, it instantly starts singing. please help. It's our only car. Oh BTW, it's only got 090700 miles on it.

Thanks for the input! Is there a way to check my starter before I take it off and buy a new one? It's not clicking when I turn the ignition. I can't afford a new one just to buy it if it's not the problem. I have checked my battery with a voltmeter. It's reading 15.83 my starter hasn't given me a single issue prior to changing out the electrical part to my ignition. Thanks so much!

There's a large power wire and a smaller switched power wire going to the starter. If you disconnect the smaller switched power wire and jump a wire from that terminal to the + battery terminal it should start cranking regardless of the ignition switch being on. If it starts cranking and stops when disconnected that will determine if the starter is good.

Your symptoms sound like the ignition switch(key cylinder) to me, I had mine go out years ago and the new one is even acting up. I bring a jumper wire with me to jump the starter just in case.

I think it's in the ignition housing. Not sure. I'm ready to give up. Lol. The key doesn't spring back to the on position if I turn it to start. But my windows, dash lights, headlights, blower motor for heat and air, and my ignition aren't working. But my interior lights and my automatic door lights are working

I actually found my problem. It's in the ignition housing. The part is a dial in the housing. I have a brand new lock cylinder on it already. Just have to find the housing at a fair price. For now I have it set up so I can drive it though. The only issue now that is new, my odometer and speedometersspeedometers quit working. Lol. Once everything is fixed I'm going to be one proud mama! I love my Subaru

Archived