LegacyGT.com

High AF correction @ idle, frustrated

Chern889

Been trying to diagnose and fix a high AF correction at idle and slow cruising. Everything I've read says its a pre-turbo air leak, I've gone through every hose and connection, fixing a few things. Air tight now via boost leak test(no smoke test though). At warm idle I will see as high as 9%. Seems to vary a lot with outside temperature, with cold being more stable, hot is all over the place. Also seeing occasional FBKC sometimes as high as -8.0 at random times. I always run 94oct fuel from the same station. Anyone have any input?

Recent work includes:

Brand new genuine MAF sensor and front O2 sensor.

Replaced intake o-rings and gaskets

Removed, cleaned and inspected turbo inlet

Checked/zip Ty every hose while intake was off

Cleaned PCV system/replaced PCV valve

Replaced EVAP valve under intake

Re-wired fuel pump with 12ga wire

Replaced/re routed a pinched fuel line on intake

Sea foamed engine through bpv hose

Verified correct fuel pressure

Modifications to car include:

Accessport V3 running Cobb OTS stg 2 91oct map

Catless UP

Catless DP

AVO TMIC

Perrin AFTA-MAF

Airbox lower air-horn removed(previous owner, don't have it)

Had a Perrin panel filter, switched to an AVO panel but made the correction skyrocket to +25%, so went to a wix paper filter, just waiting on dealer to get more factory filters in stock and going to try that next.

Sorry for the novel.

Working on an e-tune with a reputable vendor but cannot continue until I get this nailed down. Totally out of ideas.

Edit: Forgot to mention the car is an 05 LGT with the 5EAT, currently at 188,000km

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p38/chern_889/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsviqdbnrg.jpg

So, stock intake (essentially), stock injectors, and running lean at idle requiring additional fuel correction. No correction at higher loads/rpm?

Are you absolutely sure there are no leaks? There are a ton of vac/boost lines on these engines that are easy to lose track of.

Since your concern is low load/idle and you don't have a ton of mods, have you tried flashing back to stock and seeing if the correction problems are still there? There could be a problem with your current tune.

Other mechanical causes:

Air leak (intake or exhaust pre- front O2 sensor)

Dirty/broken injector

Dying fuel pump (but pressure is OK)

???

I did some poking around today and found my leak at the crosspipe on the pass side. The previous owner installed the up pipe right before I bought the car, looks like he reused the original gaskets. Will have to order up a set of Grimmspeed gaskets and redo everything. Hopefully it fixes my issue, it doesn't seems like it's leaking very much, but maybe it's enough?

• 2 weeks later...
I haven't replaced any exhaust gaskets, but in the last 2 weeks the "AF Learning 1" hasn't gone over 1.90%, so now I don't know what to think, it seems very temperamental?

Mine is the same way. It went down to 4% last week and now it's up to 11% today. Good luck finding your issue. I'm concerned it's the Cobb ots tune.

Well hopefully this helps someone else including the OP. I smoke tested my exhaust today and found a questionable crossover pipe gasket. It doesn't even look like a gasket. It looks like a piece of metal cut to fit. I bought the car with the catless up pipe installed so this is my next replacement item. Wish me luck.

• 1 year later...

Archived