LegacyGT.com

Stuck in park, how to fix?

Are you parking on a slope? That would put pressure on torque converter lock. There's a hole near the transmission on most car, stick your key in there will release the lock. Or jack up your front wheels to relief lock pressure then you can get it out from park while in the air.

strangely yes, I was reversing our dinghy (about 250kg all up weight, quite light) into our drive which is inclined maybe 20 degrees but I also had to go up grass bank a little so was in an odd angle.

whats also strange is somehow ive chewed through my trailer light cable, im wondering if that may have affected the break/park gear system.

"it wont pass its next mechanical warrant like that" please explain, can't understand it. Above technique is a design to bypass torque converter(TC) lock when you're in this situation and depending how much pressure is applied to TC locking mechanism.

To prevent this permanently, every time you park on a slope you MUST applied emergency brakes FIRST before shift to park. That way the TC lock won't bind up in a stuck mode, relief pressure for TC lock mechanism. This design is for every automatic transmission in all manufacturers.

trailer light cable has nothing to do with transmission TC lock up/park gear system.

i know there is a situation that can occur with the brakes and stuck in park, a fuse blows or something.

so what do you think my best shot at fixing the problem would be?

i press the release lock BUTTON next to the gear shifter to get it out of park now, i dont want to have to keep doing this.

so what do you think my best shot at fixing the problem would be?

To prevent this permanently, every time you park on a slope you MUST applied emergency HAND brakes FIRST before shift to park. That way the TC lock won't bind up in a stuck mode, relief pressure for TC lock mechanism. This design is for every automatic transmission in all manufacturers.

Brakes fuse blown has nothing to do with transmission TC lock up.

To prevent this permanently, every time you park on a slope you MUST applied emergency HAND brakes FIRST before shift to park.

Brakes fuse blown has nothing to do with transmission TC lock up.

I dont think you are understanding. I do place the handbrake on before shifting to park.

There is a LOT of reference to break fuses and solenoids in relation to the park gear lock up on google. So now Im confused.

check fuse FB-10 in the inside fuse block, it is labeled "AT shift lock control module" i found this in the FSM under the wiring diagram section, page 3 of item number 8 in that section.

thanks, I tried to find it under FSM but couldnt, dont suppose you could link it?

i didnt realise there was an inside fuse block, where is that housed?

I get the click under the steering wheel when I let go of the shifter button in park and of course cant then put it back into gear without the overide button

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B6P6dybMMzg9Mk54eGxEZFZzNVk&usp=drive_web&ddrp=1&tid=0B6P6dybMMzg9VlNVX1lfR2VlVlU#list

theres a link to the section, count down to the 6th pdf file and its on page 3 of 92 in that file. under the dash is where you will find the box.

http://www.carcarekiosk.com/video/1997_Subaru_Legacy_L_2.2L_4_Cyl._Wagon/fuse_interior/check

those shift lock controller units are big suckers, not really a fuse are they?

how would i test it?

if the fuse is good, then you may have to find a replacement in a junkyard or something. ive never even seen one, let alone tried to test one. but if you go to page 22 in the same file i linked youll see all the components and wiring for it.

edit: page 22 of the document is page 39 of the manual lol. page 3 i mentioned before is actually page 20 of the manual. it actually looks like there are multiple fuses for that module, check all of them.

I presume its a problem to do with recognising the brakes are on before being taken out of gear? If so I assume thats a fuse issue?

if not the fuse it could be one of the folloing

brake relay

the neutral safety switch or what ever they call it for the auto trans, something inhibitor, shift inhibitor??

or the park lock solenoid it self.

or maybe a ground wire.

i had a problem with mine, 97 GT,

it is intermittent, comes and goes.

i got tired of it so i opened the center console and put a rubber band on the ''lock'' mechanism.

worked like a charm.

at some point the rubber band rotted off ,

but my parl lock has not caused a problem since,

i'm waiting.

also look for other stuff that does not work,

like horn or cruise control or something.

SAFETY NOTE:

if you do this fix,

the shifter will move out of park ANY time, key or no key,

even when no one is in the driver seat and no foot on the brake pedal.

i do not recommend this if you have little kids in the car.

No worries JE, duelly noted re warning. It is annoying pressing the button every time in the mean time while im trying to figure it. Yes my washer pump has stopped as has my horn. Could that mean something?

Thanks twisty, it seems a lot of the diagrams are different for the different models for Jap imports.

So the controller has a fuse? What are those bigger black fuses called and how do you know when they are busted? I presume the fuse is next to the controller.

And yes thats why I couldnt find it in the FSM links in this site rofl.

Interesting, the washer, horn and stuck in park all happened at the same time and all their fuses seem to be in the FB.

On a side note my air con keeps cutting in and out intermittently. How do you check those large fuses? I assume they the same size as for the at controller?

Twisty I found a local new car with the same fuse box pattern as mine (which is in japanese). Looks different to the layout in the docos you linked me. Slightly confused now. Either way, have to get on and get my head down and find the darn blown fuses if there are any. Not exactly an easy place to look into, thank goodness for electronic candles on my headlamp :-)

• 2 weeks later...
in the manual, theres one marked as FB and one MB. the FB one is under the dash, MB is under the hood by the engine. the first page of the 6th file in the FSM section has the layout, the following pages has the descriptions for each fuse.

Archived