LegacyGT.com

BlackVue dashcam install

Just ordered Blackvue with a 5 pack of Fuse TAP Adapter Mini ATM APM Blade Fuse Holder and will hopefully be installing it over the weekend.

I am not sure which installation method I will use. I will most likely go with tapping into the fuses.

My car is also a lease and would like to reverse everything as easily as possible when turning it in. I might be reaching out to some of you for help since this will be my 1st dashcam install.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Some one mentioned about the odyssey battery, Does this battery provide more running time for my dash cam while in parked mode ? the current just shuts with unlimited time and 11v setting. Doesn't record more than 4 to 5 hours.

Sorry just saw your post.. our Stock Battery has 450 Cold Crank Amps and the Odyssey has 850 So I would say it should handle the Dash Cam requirements very well.. One of the main reasons I upgraded was to run my Air Compressor for my Air Suspension So far it's Great... Also the Odyssey has a 10 year battery life unlike standard 5 year batteries.. Hope this answers your question.. [emoji41]

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

CCA has squat to do with the ability of a battery to sustain a load over time. What you need is a high reserve capacity. Typically when CCA goes up so does reserve but the increase is not linear or consistent over battery types and sizes. If you are concerned about your battery going dead trying to run oodles of electronics while your car is parked and not running do some research and find the biggest reserve capacity battery you can find that fits the vehicle. I'd recommend against deep cycle for your car, they are not designed to release their energy as fast as a cranking battery and will be short lived in a vehicle.

The 850 Odyssey battery mentioned above has a rating of 55@10AH. Meanwhile the next lower size of 770CCA has a rating of 88@10AH. Much higher.

Google "amp-hour rating" and read up.

CCA has squat to do with the ability of a battery to sustain a load over time. What you need is a high reserve capacity. Typically when CCA goes up so does reserve but the increase is not linear or consistent over battery types and sizes. If you are concerned about your battery going dead trying to run oodles of electronics while your car is parked and not running do some research and find the biggest reserve capacity battery you can find that fits the vehicle. I'd recommend against deep cycle for your car, they are not designed to release their energy as fast as a cranking battery and will be short lived in a vehicle.

The 850 Odyssey battery mentioned above has a rating of 55@10AH. Meanwhile the next lower size of 770CCA has a rating of 88@10AH. Much higher.

Thanks for helping out.. [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Thanks for the write up! i also have this question in mind, lets say i drive my car 5 miles to work and 5 miles back to home every day, does the the higher amp -hour battery charge full for the 5 mile drive ?

Some one mentioned about the odyssey battery, Does this battery provide more running time for my dash cam while in parked mode ? the current just shuts with unlimited time and 11v setting. Doesn't record more than 4 to 5 hours.

Mine seems to be recording all night long when the car is parked.

My car is 1.5 years old and I will keep reporting progress.

The main problem I am having now is setting up blackvue cloud. My phone is not reading the QR code on the camera (pretty bad angle after it was installed).

Any tips? I tried registering via serial number but i have no idea what the cloud security code is.....

Thanks for the write up! i also have this question in mind, lets say i drive my car 5 miles to work and 5 miles back to home every day, does the the higher amp -hour battery charge full for the 5 mile drive ?

Too many variables to say. Depends on how far the battery was drained before you started your five mile trip. Depends on how long the car sat, how long the last trip was, how fast you drove during the five miles, city or highway, age and condition of the battery, age and condition of the charging system. Any answer would be a best guess. The only way to know would be to check the charge state of the battery before you start the engine, take your drive, and then check the battery again once you turn off the engine.

I'll give you a hint though, if it hasn't failed to start and left you sitting then it's probably fine.

Mine seems to be recording all night long when the car is parked.

My car is 1.5 years old and I will keep reporting progress.

The main problem I am having now is setting up blackvue cloud. My phone is not reading the QR code on the camera (pretty bad angle after it was installed).

Any tips? I tried registering via serial number but i have no idea what the cloud security code is.....

Try to take a good picture of it and print it out in black and white. Do some Photoshop to make the image upright this would help if keep trying in different angels. Or else you write a email asking for the code at "cs@pittasoft.com". They would send you a copy. When i bought the dash cam i din't have the code printed on the camera so i have to ask them and they gave it me.

Too many variables to say. Depends on how far the battery was drained before you started your five mile trip. Depends on how long the car sat, how long the last trip was, how fast you drove during the five miles, city or highway, age and condition of the battery, age and condition of the charging system. Any answer would be a best guess. The only way to know would be to check the charge state of the battery before you start the engine, take your drive, and then check the battery again once you turn off the engine.

I'll give you a hint though, if it hasn't failed to start and left you sitting then it's probably fine.

It would start all the time even after sitting after 3 to 4 days. It would start because of the

setting in the power magic pro to cut off the power after reaching 11.6 V. The dash cam power performance effects with the movement of the surroundings. if there is a more things moving then more battery is consumed.

It would start all the time even after sitting after 3 to 4 days. It would start because of the

setting in the power magic pro to cut off the power after reaching 11.6 V. The dash cam power performance effects with the movement of the surroundings. if there is a more things moving then more battery is consumed.

Sweet set up. With a feature like that I'd not worry about my battery.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• 9 months later...
Very nice and clean install; can't say the same about mine.... Do you have the powermagic box?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yessir, mounted it with 3m tape underneath the fuse box, fits perfectly and can reach the switch if need be.

Finally got around to installing my BlackVue dashcam. I had pulled it out of my previous car that got rear-ended. If anyone is on the fence about getting a dashcam I highly recommend it as it showed the accident wasn't my fault (I got pushed into the car in front).

It is a DR650GW-2CH, 2-channel dashcam with a "powermagic pro" which is basically a battery discharge protection device that keeps the camera running when the car is off (parking mode).

It went very smoothly thanks to the overhead console. It had all the battery, ground, and ignition wiring available to be tapped into.

I mounted the powermagic pro with 3M dual-lock velcro tape to the roof.

The front camera tucked in neatly behind the rearview mirror and the wires ran up the OEM wire channel. I cut the power wire to the right length to connect to the powermagic pro.

For the rear camera cable, I tucked it behind the headliner, and ran down the A-pillar and along the passenger side footwell back to the rear deck. I didn't mount the rear camera yet as I have brand new tint that is still drying.

So if I were to get this dash cam I will be able to view it on my phone?

How many hours does it record when vehicle is off?

Also does the rear cam faces towards the fron of car or facing rear?reason I ask this is I have 5% tint so not sure if it will necessary to have one on the rear.thanks

Also does the rear cam faces towards the fron of car or facing rear?reason I ask this is I have 5% tint so not sure if it will necessary to have one on the rear.thanks

Yes, you connect via wifi and use the BlackVue app.

Depends on how charged your battery is, my powermagic pro is set to kill it after 6 hours and typically it makes it that long. On cold days with a weak charge it's probably closer to 3-4. You can get battery packs to extend this (which I intend to do at some point).

If you don't need the rear cam get the DR650GW-1ch which is the front cam only model. It's also cheaper than the 2ch model.

Yes, you connect via wifi and use the BlackVue app.

Depends on how charged your battery is, my powermagic pro is set to kill it after 6 hours and typically it makes it that long. On cold days with a weak charge it's probably closer to 3-4. You can get battery packs to extend this (which I intend to do at some point).

If you don't need the rear cam get the DR650GW-1ch which is the front cam only model. It's also cheaper than the 2ch model.

oh ok cool,are u experiencing heat issues with the camera?i read somewhere some are having heat issues and messing up the sd card,and also does it share privacy with others when using the app?

Yessir, mounted it with 3m tape underneath the fuse box, fits perfectly and can reach the switch if need be.

Awesome thank you! I will have to look into using that. I screwed mine into her front cover of the fuze door but don't really like that install.

What did you do with the excess wire for the back? I just pulled the headliner tabs for the back and pushed all the excess wire between that and the roof.

I have 35% tint on my car and the back camera is essentially useless. It will be great to see if a car hits my car when its parked or to show someone's aggressive driving which may have resulted in an accident but it will do nothing as far as reading plates.

Since you have 5% tint I would say that a back camera would be useless for you in anything but sunny weather.

oh ok cool,are u experiencing heat issues with the camera?i read somewhere some are having heat issues and messing up the sd card,and also does it share privacy with others when using the app?

Never had an issue with heat. Even on 100 degree days where the temp inside the car is even higher. I'm running a PNY 128gb card that I picked up on Amazon used for like 30 bucks, holds about a week's worth of recording.

I'm confused as to what you're asking:confused: the app lets you connect to the cam via a password protected Wi-Fi network that is broadcast out by the cam. No one can connect without the password and typically you'd only turn on Wi-Fi when you need it. You can download the clip to your phone and share it from there.

Awesome thank you! I will have to look into using that. I screwed mine into her front cover of the fuze door but don't really like that install.

What did you do with the excess wire for the back? I just pulled the headliner tabs for the back and pushed all the excess wire between that and the roof.

Excess wire is bundled up underneath the dash next to the powermagic's socket. I started routing from the camera and worked my way down to prevent from having a bunch up there.

Now that I think about it you were probably referring to the rear cam coax cable excess. I only have the front cam. But yeah shoving it above the headliner is probably the only option.

Never had an issue with heat. Even on 100 degree days where the temp inside the car is even higher. I'm running a PNY 128gb card that I picked up on Amazon used for like 30 bucks, holds about a week's worth of recording.

How many times did you have to format your 128gb card or how often?

I have been using 32gb on mine and it holds about 24hrs worth of data.

Not sure if one would ever need anything longer as power magic pro will eventually end up cutting the power anyway.

My cams have captured some amazing stuff with in less than a year of installation.

Archived