LegacyGT.com

Chasing p0021, long story, details, PLEASE Advise me gurus!

So I have fixed a laundry list of problems on car in the last 2 weeks, but this current one has me both stumped, and praying that lightning hits this car.

Last thing that happened my idler pulley seized, lodged the a/c belt in behind the crank pulley, melted gashes into the timing cover. All in the 2 minutes it took me to start the car, pull it up on ramps to change oil/fog light bulb. I popped the hood and saw the mess.

Didn't trust the 2 piece crank pulley, the rubber looked to be separating.

Didn't need another thing exploding.

Ordered new timing cover, belt, and Kartboy crank pulley.

Installed. Changed oil.

Drove an hour to the Doctor Friday, car acted fine.

Stopped to get a cheeseburger on the way home, as I pull into the drive-thru, the check engine light comes on. I think "well I tried to use the cruise control earlier on the interstate, it worked fine, but maybe this aftermarket wheel bearing threw a code for cruise.

Got out of car, checked for leaks, none. Reset the ECU, decided "no more cruise usage, I'll see if that was the problem.

Car acts fine the rest of the way home.

Saturday, drove 20 miles to town, start to slow at a stoplight, check engine light again.

I have Autozone scan the code: P0021, Camshaft position A - timing over advance or performance (Bank 2).

Knowing what I have read on the forums, I think, well, the car runs/idles wonderfully, so it most likely isn't the timing, because I never removed the belt, only the crank pulley, and if off it probably would run awful....Right?

Drove home real slow. Checked the driver cam sprockets, marks line up exactly 6' and 12' o'clock.

So I pull the driver side avcs solenoid. It doesn't feel "stuck" or sticking", but I cleaned it with compressed air and carb cleaner...worked it back and forth, made sure I wasn't missing anything jammed in it....reinstalled.

Drove the car again. Car runs wonderfully. About 20 miles I get check engine light again.

So I come home, read about hammer down's method of removing the banjo bolt from behind the rear driver cam sprocket cover.

I got the bolt out about an hour ago. NO FILTER. I almost cried. I totally expected to find a clogged up filter.

Now, I DO realize that the avcs solenoid could still be bad....and that I need to swap them out to see if the code moves.

First question:

IS IT POSSIBLE that the screen inside that banjo bolt came out of the bolt and is lodged back in the bolt hole? (not the top one that goes into the avcs solenoid but the one that comes out behind the driver side rear cam sprocket cover)

I could not see back in the hole, but i stuck the end of a zip tie in there and a piece of rubber tubing and it definitely bumps into something about an inch and a half back in the hole, but that may be normal, I'm still trying to find a picture that would show me if that hole narrows back in there or what. Tomorrow I will get a mirror on a stick and see if I can look back in the hole.

If anyone can point me towards a diagram that shows where that hole goes I'd appreciate it.

Next question. If that filter was removed by the previous owner (car has 155k miles, carfax says shortblock replaced by dealer at 120k miles but I did not think Subaru dealer would leave them out, which leads me to believe theres more than meets the eye here, and I can only blame myself for not having a dealer go over the car....it drove fine, nothing looked or felt wrong on test drives, acted wonderful for a couple months) is there any other possible reason besides A) the solenoid is simply bad, or B) something has made its way into the intake cam sprocket? (I saw the teardown of one on this site where the guy had a piece of metal in his.)

I almost think maybe that filter came out of the banjo bolt and is still back in the hole, I'll try to confirm that tomorrow.

Surely the new crank pulley couldn't be causing this issue. It does NOT throw the P0011 code, ONLY P0021 which is driver side.

That banjo bolt hole, it pushes oil OUT, UP that small oil line into the banjo bolt that goes in the top of the AVCS solenoid, correct?

If so, maybe I can disconnect the ignition coils somehow, crank the car, and it "may" blow out whatever is lodged in that hole? Hell, there may not be anything in the hole and I may just be wishful thinking. I'm guessing next step is pull the driver side cam sprockets, but that looks like another wad of money for specialty tools. Starting to regret the purchase.

I don't have a datalogger yet, that's the next purchase.

This car went from being wonderful to being the biggest hassle I've had out of a car in a long time. I live 100 miles from the nearest Subaru dealer, and I have probably learned more about the car from these forums in the last couple months than any generic mechanic between here and the dealership.

I'm quite capable of working on the car, but it has became an onslaught of problems over the last few weeks, and this one scares me.

Car is stock as far as I can possibly tell, I've put maybe 3000 miles on the car since I've had it.

I'm at a loss for words. Please, someone give me some advice on what to do next. You guys are my only hope right now, I've bought so many parts and tools in the last few weeks I can't afford to have it towed to the dealer, nor pay them at the moment.

I doubt highly the dealership that replaced the shortblock would be willing to help me with it being as they offloaded the car and I bought it from a used dealership in another town. I'm starting to wonder if somehow that part wasn't even true, even tho carfax says it is.

I just want it fixed, whatever it takes, before something worse breaks.

Car isn't raced or abused, simply driven. LOVE the car, but it has me stumped. I don't want to drive it as long as it is throwing that code, that cannot be good for the life of the engine.

Thanks for reading my novel, I appreciate any and all advice.

Time to read some more.

EDIT: to add that all three times the CEL has came on has been when I was slowing to a stop at a red light, or at the drive thru.

LMAO thanks for the laugh. :)

SUPPOSEDLY, the turbo was replaced at the time the short block was replaced. Turbo sounds "right", had a few turbo cars before, checking the shaft play is on my to-do list for tomorrow. Not like it'll be moving anytime soon.

#ynansb = what I think it does eh?

JEEZ man I hope not.

Wonder why this thing has trashed itself in 30k miles of "supposed" new sb?

Any ideas on the possibility that driver side banjo filter is lodged back in the hole?

Now, I DO realize that the avcs solenoid could still be bad....and that I need to swap them out to see if the code moves.

I wouldn't worry much until you try this. From what I've read here, cleaning generally doesn't work and the solenoid needs to be replaced.

I wouldn't worry much until you try this. From what I've read here, cleaning generally doesn't work and the solenoid needs to be replaced.

Barring that anything else is wrong, how much damage am I doing driving the car with it throwing this code/bad solenoid? Will I hurt it worse changing them out?

That I'm not sure about.

In the thread below bmx mentions that if you're getting this code, that means the solenoid isn't getting enough oil, and that means the turbo isn't either. So if I were in your shoes, I would replace the solenoid, and avoid driving the car until then.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/dreaded-p0021-181887.html

*I just wanted to say I know it easy for me to say replace the $90 part. So before doing that I would try swapping the two solenoids to see if the p0011 pops up, but I would try to do this sometime soon.

Apexi,

Thanks for the response.

Definitely won't be driving it until I AT LEAST replace the driver side solenoid.

So the oil feed to the driver side is also in the line with the oil feed on the passenger side/turbo? I didn't know that drivers side oil feed was in the same line with the turbo. Definitely don't want anything else breaking.

P0021 is driver side, I think P0011 is passenger side.

There was no filter in the avcs banjo bolt on driver side ....still not sure if it has came loose and is back in the hole or just isn't there...I've been trying to see if that hole size reduces past where the banjo bolt screws in or if that dang filter is lodged in there.

Tomorrow I will pull the banjo bolt on the turbo side and see if there is a filter in that one/check turbo shaft.

I think I feel better replacing the drivers side solenoid than putting a faulty one on the passenger side and possibly causing more problems along the way.

Looks like next purchase solenoid...if that doesn't fix it, then likely new driver side intake cam sprocket and some tools. If that doesn't fix it....I'm really at a loss...

I'll be down a while due to already spending way more than I needed to in the last few weeks on it. Sad part is, this car was supposed to be a daily driver....and I'm the one that talked my female companion into getting it.....

....because I thought it would be reliable. :(

I have a 3000gt VR4 in the garage that was supposed to be the money pit.

"Reliable" said the salesman. "New engine/turbo, you'll be satisfied" He said.

:|

Life would be simpler if I could just drive a pickemup truck like everyone else in my state. :D

Or a bicycle.

Glad someone understands my pain.

Thanks, helpful internet car people. You guys are wonderful.

Actually I just wanted to correct myself. After re-reading bmx's post it sounds like he's saying if the banjo filter is clogged, that could starve the solenoid and the turbo. Since you don't have the banjo filter there, it sounds like the turbo isn't in danger of being starved of oil.

I think I would take the same steps you just mentioned. Keep us posted.

Edit, again. The link below makes it sound like only the passenger side banjo bolt can starve the turbo. So even if the passenger side banjo bolt filter was there, the turbo wouldn't be in danger? Some of this turbo related stuff is over my head, so I'll let the turbo experts chime in with their thoughts. Only turbos I have experience with are 4g63t DSM's.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2-5gt-turbo-oil-supply-banjo-bolt-filter-removal-61689.html

Go with the $200 fix -- should be about $185ish for two new OCVs (AVCS solenoids) from Heuberger Subaru. (http://www.bestbuysubaru.com; see my Shopping List for PNs and where to punch in the part numbers.) Replacing those is necessary every 75k anyhow, and, replacing them can only do you good.

That said, I would keep it in the back of your mind that #ynansb is possible. BTW, you're sharp -- yes, it means what you think it does -- You Need A New Shortblock. It's my Signature Tagline.

What was the new block replaced with? Sometimes people will drop in a used block from a wrecked car, which, honestly, isn't really a good idea at all, especially since a new shortblock and gasket kit is really only about 2k - But, if that were the case, it means you inherited whatever problems that other car had, which may include having metal flakes in the oil from a grenaded turbo, which, in many cases, causes a spun bearing.

While you're taking care of the cheap fixes, I'd like for you to keep in the back of your mind, a thought about how long you'd like to keep the car and how much you're willing to pay to do so. Think about how you're going to come up with about $7k to do it.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok finally an update. New OCV on driver side fixed my problem, thank you so much for all the words of wisdom, guys/gals.

2 hour test drive, no codes, no oil leaks. Cutting a 17mm wrench in half and grinding it down on the sides helped me get that evil spawn banjo bolt out and back in.

I ordered a VAG-COM cable from the place in the UK that another member on here had good luck with, vendor assured me it was the BL chipset, so I'll keep an eye on things and take it easy until I can log. Need to rebuild other front brake caliper and check a few more things, I'm determined to make this a reliable daily driver. I think with good TLC and VERY strict preventative maintennance I can make this car serve me well.

Glad this wasn't a case of #ynansb ;) Haha well there's always tomorrow.

Happy Easter LGT.

Hey MrTris,

To make sure we are on same page, half the wrench has the closed end and says CRAFT and the --[ end says SMAN the SMAN end,

/| |\ end,

I ground the / and the \ inwards towards the | *bolthead here* | as close as I could on the initially skinnier side */ | | \ <- this side

and made it more like this / | | |

Dental floss is a good trick to hold the inner crush washer in place.

Oh and yes both banjo filters are out.

New uppipe comes after logging cable arrives.

No leaks anywhere, I am going to read up on installing this stretch-fit A/C belt before the nice weather kicks in.

( Gates part. #K040317SF in case anyone needs to stop me before I hurt myself!)

Archived