LegacyGT.com

VW Golf R Variant

I wrote to VW of America, noting that with the Golf Variant definitely coming and with a manual transmission Golf R definitely coming, might there be a Golf R Variant coming in the future? I noted that I loved my 2005 Legacy GT manual transmission wagon but, at 10 years old and 137,000 miles, it was getting a little long in the tooth. I also noted that if a manual transmission Golf R Variant were to be available, my family might very well buy three of them; one for me and one for both my sons.

VW of America's response:

Dear Mr. Urban,

I hope this email finds you well.

It’s great to hear that you’re thinking about making the switch to VW and we’re delighted to have your interest in the Golf R Variant.

At this time, we have not announced any official plans to release the Golf R Variant for the U.S market. However, this certainly does not mean we never will! As the final decisions for our 2016 fleet have not yet been made, now is a great time for us to get feedback like this.

As such, I have made sure to document your desire to see this vehicle, especially with a manual transmission, for internal review by our product engineers. We take feedback from our customers very seriously as a resource to determine exactly which features and designs to bring in to our fleet.

It would truly be a pleasure to see you smiling in a new Volkswagen! Please feel free to reach out to us again if you have any other questions. We are always happy to help!

Have a great weekend!

Sincerely,

Andrew B.

Customer CARE Advocate

The Golf R stickers at $37,000 with the DSG and will be $1200 less with the manual. I would expect the Variant to be just a little more, say $38,000 with the manual. The WRX STI starts at $35,000.

It's a station wagon. Americans don't buy them. Other markets do. Why would VW allocate limited production vehicles to a market where only a tiny handful of consumers will even consider buying one?

Archived