LegacyGT.com

P0301, P0303, PFFFF, PFFFE Codes

I recently removed the intake manifold to replace the problematic intake o-rings. I replaced the intake o-rings with Subaru Part #14035AA492. I made sure to cover the valve holes and scrape the remnants of the old engine to TGV gasket off, clean the surface well and replace with a new gasket. Everything seemed to reconnect fine, however, now it starts very rough and throws codes P0301 (Cylinder 1 Misfire), P0303 (Cylinder 3 Misfire), PFFFF (Unknown) and PFFFE (Unknown). In addition to the codes, there is also a gas smell when its running and the usual traction off light with flashing CEL/Cruise lights.

I verified the electrical connections on the passenger side are all connected as well as all vacuum hoses. If anyone has any ideas I would really appreciate some help. Thanks!!

Other stats from AP:

Cylinder 1 Roughness: Increases rapidly

Cylinder 2 Roughness: 0

Cylinder 3 Roughness: Increases rapidly

Cylinder 4 Roughness: 0

Boost (Vacuum): -7.xx

Target Boost (Vacuum): -11.xx

Sounds electrical to me since one and three are different banks and I'd think the fuel smells is the plugs not burning off all the gas but those 03xx codes can be like chasing ghosts, lots of running and little catching.

The obvious place to start is by pulling what you've already done then I'd go to plugs and coils (I have a 2.5i and your set-up is different then mine so I'm not much help there sorry) since those are in the same area of the engine you were working in.

How do you ckeck for vacuum leaks? Don't just verify by looking, use a cigarette or starting fluid.

Found what I think was the ground screw for the large MAP sensor bracket was not there. Screwed that down nice and tight and it ran better, still same symptoms. Directly behind the compressor on the front side of the manifold, I found what looks like a relay with two hoses coming out of it that was not screwed in to its mounting point either. After doing this, the car no longer starts. It cranks for a bit, then as soon as the engine tries to fire up, I hear what sounds like a small backfire and the car dies. I have no idea, but am thinking a vacuum line is hooked up weird somewhere? Maybe something else is messed up? Does anyone have a picture or diagram of the turbo inlet hoses or know where they're supposed to go? I think I have them hooked up correctly, however, that was the only area my pictures turned out shitty and I couldn't tell for sure. Thanks!

Had a very simular situation with my SUV a few weeks ago. I was replacing the spark plugs and while doing so, I had to remove the intake manifold to reach to the back side for the other plugs. Replaced all the gaskets and hooked everything back up. Went to start it up and it idle rough and a lot of gas fumes came out the back.

Tested the MAF and it was good. Then took off the manifold to find out that the manifold gasket was not sitting correctly allowing air in, bypassing the MAF, causing the system too lean out on each bank. Corrected the gaskets, tighten everything down, reset the ECU, and everything is good again.

Moral of the story is, go back through your steps and recheck everything that you touched. It already sounds that you missed a few things putting everything back together. You have a vacuum leak post MAF sensor.

Edit: I found my vacuum leak with a can of brake cleaner. Spray it around all the vacuum hoses and intake manifold connections. The engine will start chocking when you find the leaking area.

My wife's balls are delicious.

Sounds electrical to me since one and three are different banks

Actually no. Cylinders 1 and 3 are on the same bank: passenger side.

It goes like this:

REAR

3---4

1---2

FRONT

So for some reason passenger side bank is having issue. Maybe you hit the passenger side rear camshaft position sensor or something?

SOLVED!! When hooking up the passenger side coil wires, I plugged the white connector into the back and the black connector into the front. This seemed to be how the wires wanted to go, however, that was backwards. The white connector should be plugged into the front coil on both sides and the black connector should be plugged into the back connector on both sides...Glad it was an easy fix, but wow do I feel like an idiot. Thanks again everyone!!

SOLVED!! When hooking up the passenger side coil wires, I plugged the white connector into the back and the black connector into the front. This seemed to be how the wires wanted to go, however, that was backwards. The white connector should be plugged into the front coil on both sides and the black connector should be plugged into the back connector on both sides...Glad it was an easy fix, but wow do I feel like an idiot. Thanks again everyone!!

Just remember, Subaru is secretly racist: Black in the back. :cool:

Good job. Glad it was an easy fix.

Archived