LegacyGT.com

eBay headers don't fit... Help!

I have a 98 LGT Sedan with EJ25D. engine was recently rebuilt, and in the rebuild I guess the oil cooler off of a forester was added in to the setup. Which means I have oil cooler lines in pretty close proximity to the stock headers.

I got a set of replica UEL's off ebay, after reading that many people got them to work well. Problem is, while they line up fine, they're just too close for comfort to my oil filter, silicon tubing from radiator (metal replaced because of pinhole leak), and the lines on the oil cooler. I know I can get the short filter, so that's not too much of an issue, but the proximity to coolant and oil cooler lines is worrying to me...

Anyone have a recommendation on headers that have a bit more clearance than the eBays? I've looked at actual Borla's, but can't really tell about the clearance. I'm really looking to switch out the stock headers, but would like to avoid the cost of custom fabricating them if possible.

Thanks for the help!

im kind of curious on this one as well, you have any pics to post up showing the closeness? also, id probably put a shield in between, or wrap the header in that area to keep the stuff a bit cooler around it.

So first, sorry for the delay in responding! been a crazy week.

As it turns out, I think the headers would actually fit. I'll have to get pics next time I'm at my buddy's shop (that's where the headers and lift are), but the reason for the issue was actually pretty simple. It turns out that the oil cooler I have installed is specific to the foresters, and the return line that goes from the oil cooler to the water pump (I believe) can just be plugged and deactivated.

So right now my internal debate is whether I want to remove that oil cooler and proceed with the install, or if I want to keep the oil cooler and get a higher quality header that has the clearance. One thing I've noticed in images of the ebay header vs other headers (OBX, original borlas) is that the ebay headers seem to have less space between the inlet pipes (the 'Y') than the others. Don't know if that would allow me to use headers AND oil cooler, but I'm going to reexamine sometime this weekend, and hopefully i can provide some pictures.

Archived