LegacyGT.com

how to remove pulley from steering pump?

Hi guys!

I wanted to replace steering pump on my subie.

I have two steering pumps - one is dead one installed on my car (leaking everywhere :lol:) with NO REPAIR KITS (seals rings etc). Pump part number is: 34430-AG011.

Second one was ordered abroad, P/N: 34430-AJ020 from Legacy N/A 3.6L EZ36 engine. But when i wanted to installed it, i saw that pulley is bad, you can check the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKSSqDsAVNg

Now i want to remove pulley from my own pump and install it on new pump.

My Engine is NA 3.0L EZ30D engine. Car model: 2005 Legacy 3.0 EDM

Same type of pumps installed on USDM Outback N/A 3.0L 2005-2009.

There is thread inside the steering pump shaft, which you can use for "pulley removing kit", but i am not sure, which of this kits can be used for this type of pulley/pump.

My pump's pulley center doesn't have "edge", where pulley removing tool "drags" the pulley.

Thanks in advance!

My pump's pulley center doesn't have "edge", where pulley removing tool "drags" the pulley.

^I don't understand this part. Are you saying your pulley currently on the car does not look the same as the pulley in the video?

^I don't understand this part. Are you saying your pulley currently on the car does not look the same as the pulley in the video?

Pulleys are same. I cannot remove\replace damaged pulley (watch video).

Rgds Enzo

Enzo,

I did watch it.

Watch

and it shows you how to remove it and explains the tools needed.

If you watch your DIY video, that guy explains that your pulley must have "lips" for grabbing a pulley. Exact time in video 3:06 and 7:20. The problem is that my type of pulley don't have such lips. So nowhere to drag.

Got it, sorry when I watched your video it looked like it had a lip, I had to enlarge and then was it was just a color difference. You will need a jaw puller like this- images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTGUFpz5LkfoP_h0B3Os2ZO1iTKC5QpSJLFG4nzpytP_1xCN0td8w

But practice on the bad pulley 1st, as you can break the pulley with this style.

Got it, sorry when I watched your video it looked like it had a lip, I had to enlarge and then was it was just a color difference. You will need a jaw puller like this- images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTGUFpz5LkfoP_h0B3Os2ZO1iTKC5QpSJLFG4nzpytP_1xCN0td8w

But practice on the bad pulley 1st, as you can break the pulley with this style.

I tried to use such tool already - pulley gets damaged when u use force to grab it

Archived